PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually use OpenOffice in Kubuntu?

BrokenKingpin
September 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Just because you don't use it that often doesn't mean other people don't. Office software is a very common in day to day computing. I think it should be installed by default.

Dragonbite
September 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
It would be interesting if there was a remix with KOffice instead of OpenOffice. Replace all apps a KDE variant if possible (Krita instead of Gimp, KOffice instead of OpenOffice, Karbon14 instead of Inkscape, KDEnlive instead of Kino, etc).

Right now one of the easiest means is to do a DVD installation of openSUSE (since openSUSE contribues a lot to KDE development, otherwise any DVD pick-apps-during-installation distro should work) or Mandriva.

BrokenKingpin
September 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I think the point of the topic was whether or not to have office software installed by default, not which office software installed by default.

NightwishFan
September 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Office software I think is a must for any Ubuntu installation. I personally use it daily. I wouldn't say no to Koffice if it improves a bit.

I think Ubuntu should go for an optional DVD iso, that instead of having the live and alternate should be along the lines of opensuse and have just alternate or a frontend for it. That way we can have alternate GNOME software or KDE software. Partially the reason I switched from Kubuntu is due to the live CD having very little software I need.

Bachstelze
September 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I don't use OpenOffice. Nor in KDE, nor anywhere else.

Ozor Mox
September 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Best. Username. Evar.

OpenOffice should stay in by default. An office suite included is one of the best advantages of (K)Ubuntu over Windows I think.