PDA

View Full Version : If you had a whole year to developer an app what would it be?

puddinlover
September 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
The title states it all!

Looking for opinions on this, just posted in my programming blog (http://codejustin.com) about it and was hoping to get feedback on ubuntu forums too.

minerbog
September 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
One question...

WHY??:confused:

Bachstelze
September 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I probably wouldn't start a project of my own, rather contribute to an existing one. x264 comes to mind.

.Maleficus.
September 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I would make an EAC clone so I don't have to boot to Windows (or use Wine) every time I want to get a quality rip of one of my CDs.

schauerlich
September 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I probably wouldn't start a project of my own, rather contribute to an existing one. x264 comes to mind.

If you read the blog post, he's looking to make money off of the deal to pay for college. So unless he wants to offer enterprise support for his software, he's probably looking at some proprietary gizmo.

Sinkingships7
September 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
If I had a year of free time and nothing to do but program, I'd develop a media library manager that doesn't suck and works on Linux. Not only that, but it'd be light on system resources, have built-in conversion of music file formats, proper Amazon album data fetching, it'd keep your music files organized as you import them, a simple, intuitive interface, and last but not least, a great equalizer.

Basically iTunes for Linux with a non-Cocoa based GUI.

joey-elijah
September 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
interesting question.

Firstly it'd be great to be able to programme to a decent quality! :P

I'd probably make some sort of desktop editing "booth" for recording, editing and uploading to YouTube in one click.

Or a decent desktop feed reader :P

aeiah
September 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
a movie collection manager with features comparable to exaile, amarok, rhythmbox etc

keplerspeed
September 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
freeCAD, see my sig. Currently there is nothing that can do anything like the commercial sw (solidworks etc).

hessiess
September 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Design a whole new model for interface design which is based purely on efficiency, and not at all on ease of use, i.e. no mouse for one thing.

pwnst*r
September 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I would make an EAC clone so I don't have to boot to Windows (or use Wine) every time I want to get a quality rip of one of my CDs.

^^this. nothing beats EAC, don't even bother trying to convince me. also, if i knew wtf i was doing, maybe a total foobar clone that looked good in *nix.

Eisenwinter
September 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Cubase clone for Linux.

RabbitWho
September 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I'd like to make something like the gnome ppp that was architecture neutral and could work on windows and mac and every distro and every computer imaginable. But if not that then just puppy linux..

But it takes longer than a year to learn to program ha ha.

I suppose if I was rich and could just hire someone to do it then I would.. I know i could just hire them to get Puppy to connect but i'd like something nice easy and available to everyone.

Then again if I was rich I could just buy a new computer that doesn't need Puppy Linux.. but I love that computer.

Simian Man
September 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Honestly the Gnome desktop needs a decent Paint program. There is the Gimp which is awesome but more complicated than what a lot of people need. There is also Kolourpaint, which I quite like, but is a KDE application. There is a program called gpain, I think, but it was very poor last time I tried it.

This shouldn't be too hard for one person to do in a year.