September 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Please, i have startet to Linux usser and need ur helps,

my laptop .......

IBM Thinkpad R40

512mb ram

60gb hdd

ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

Centrino P4 1.4mhz

i have download iso from ubuntu 9.04 and burn, when i boot from cd, and select obtion to test, or install, the process not work, its stoped......

please any suggestions, ???

or any guide or parameters to make a good, installation........

thanks and wait for ur answers...

fox

tommcd
September 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
i have download iso from ubuntu 9.04 and burn, when i boot from cd, and select obtion to test, or install, the process not work, its stoped......

How did you burn the CD? If you are burning from a Windows system, try using Iso Recorder or INfra Recorder. See this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
Be sure to burn the CD at the slowest possible speed.
Also, when you boot the CD, the first thing you should do is to choose the option: check disc for defects. This will take a minute or two to run. If it passes without errors then the disc is good. If it reports errors, the disc is corrupted and you will need to burn a new disc.

Also, what exactly happened when it stopped working? Be specific, and post any errors it may have given you.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

ffhfox
September 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
dear, the problem its, that no appear any error,...

when i select a option to install or test, the cd drive read for a seconds and stopped and not show any error... anything...........

please i think u stand me and please, help i really like test, ubuntu..

thanks and waiting for your answers...

fox

tommcd
September 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
when i select a option to install or test, the cd drive read for a seconds and stopped and not show any error... anything...........

The only thing I can suggest is to burn a new CD. If you can't even check the CD for defects it is likely that the CD is bad. Try burning a new CD with Iso Recorder or Infra Recorder as per the link in my last post. Be sure to burn the CD at the slowest possible speed. Then check the CD for defects before installing.

The other possibility is that Ubuntu could be having a problem with your graphics card. You might want to try installing Ubuntu from the alternate CD. This is a text based installer that can install Ubuntu without booting to a desktop. Get the alternate CD here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

phillw
September 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Also, it may be well worth your time to beg / steal / borrow (or, if all that fails - buy) a CD/DVD drive cleaning disk & clean the drive that you are wanting to do the install from.

Phill.

losty
April 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM
hello, i didnt want to create a whole new thread. but have decided to add to this aptly named one!

i have recently bought a R40, that works well on xp pro, but want to use 9.10 via Wubi

the intall went well. but when i logged in, the desktop had "ghost" traces or any closed programs, and would also not display correctly.

My other main issue is unable to get the Belkin wireless network adaptor to work, its just not being detected.

here are a few specs, following belarc

ATI MOBILITY RADEON [Display adapter]
IBM 1024x768 [Monitor] (16.1"vis, August 1999)

Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter (using pcmia slot)

IBM 2681FFU
System Serial Number: FX35037
Enclosure Type: Notebook

2ghz P4, 1GB ram, with 30 gb HDD

I am a major newbie, and would appreaciate any help/guidance on trying to resolve this issue!