PDA

View Full Version : How to learn to develop ?

pinguino99
September 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Hi all,
I work in the IT for long time, anyway i only learnt to develop programs in mainframes (iseries, or sap systems) , so in never learnt C, or visual basic etc.
I have some free time i would like to spend learning something that can be helpful to develope in the linux enviroment. Even for GUI apps.

I'd like to hear some suggestions : which is the best language to learn? any books? Considering i am not a "virgin" in the programming field.

Thanks to all

StunnerAlpha
September 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM
If you want to develop fornlimux systems there are a lot of good languages out there but I would recommend C/C++. I also find python to be a joy to program with and have to recommend that as well. As for books I find that there are some really good free online tutorials for both languages so just google them. If you must have a book I would wait and see what others say.

JordyD
September 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I believe this is covered in the stickies here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006666

and

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006662

koonsolo
September 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
If you want to program close to the hardware and learn a lot about the inner workings of programs, I would recommend C.
If you want to be extremely productive, get results fast, I would recommend Python.

nvteighen
September 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Heck... I hate these threads in which someone comes up asking something it is already answered in the stickies and, no matter how many people do the effort to answer to the OP, that OP doesn't ever seem to appear again.

minerbog
September 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
What a can of worms you have opened here!!!!!

Development as a rule is simple. A computer take input calculates and produces output. Crud I know but at its basic level thats all it does!!

I got the bug for programming back when I had my first specy 48k (with rubber keys!!). Nothing in the basic programming structure has really changed. There are still variable, functions, loops etc etc.

My point is, the first PC language I learn't was VB (Urrh) but soon picked up C++, Java, PHP and python. So in my opinion learn what you feel comfortable with and the rest will follow.

dwhitney67
September 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Heck... I hate these threads in which someone comes up asking something it is already answered in the stickies and, no matter how many people do the effort to answer to the OP, that OP doesn't ever seem to appear again.

Stop being cynical... that's my job! :-)

nvteighen
September 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Stop being cynical... that's my job! :-)

Excuse me, never noticed that ;)