PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WPA support

imneeto
September 9th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Ok I am brand new to ubuntu just loaded jaunty on my computer 2 days ago and everything is awesome so far. This only issue I have is that it will not connect to my 2Wire wireless router and I am guessing from what I am reading around that the issue is the lack of WPA support. I have been reading the past couple days on a few different fixes for it some say to remove the network manager and install wicd or other wpa support files but as far as I can tell all of them require an active internet connection which is the one thing I happen to not have on that computer due to my inability to connect to the modem. When I had windows on the machine it would connect to the modem (it would not do much else) but at least I could get a connection.

So my question is what are the steps that I need to take to be able to connect to my router using wpa without currently having an active internet connection.

Here are the facts:

Installed 9.04
using 2Wire router
using netgear ma111v1 usb wifi adapter
the computer can see the network it will just not allow me to log onto it
the only options it give me for security is wep or leap

not sure what else to include if you need any more information please let me know. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, and I am sorry if this question has been answered in a different thread or if I have put this thread in the wrong area. Thank you!

imneeto
September 11th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I guess no one knows?