PDA

View Full Version : Should I burn 4 700MB video files to one DVD? Or will it be low quality?

gymophett
September 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I have 4 videos. That are around 700 or 800MB each. If I uses Devede and put all of them on one disc, will it lower the quality? Or would it be the same quality as it would if I burned each 700MB file to one DVD?:confused:

TheLions
September 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I have 4 videos. That are around 700 or 800MB each. If I uses Devede and put all of them on one disc, will it lower the quality? Or would it be the same quality as it would if I burned each 700MB file to one DVD?:confused:

If you are planing watching your videos on your computer or divx player then burn them all on single DVD as divx (.avi) files.

Id you are planing watching video on DVD player then burn single video on single DVD as DVD video (you have to convert it to DVD format first).

gymophett
September 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Well damn. That takes so long. I can burn on Windows too. What is the quickest way? ConvertXtoDVD? DVDFab?

cariboo
September 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Most recent DVD players, at least those sold in Canada, will play a variety of formats including avi and divx. It is only the $15.00 Wal Mart specials that don't

I used to put as many avi's on a DVD as would fit and put the disk in my DVD player to watch them, I just burned the disks as data disks.

joey-elijah
September 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I've burned 5 45 min AVI's using DeVeDe on a single DVD before and the quality wasn't *that* awful. If you know what VHS is, think that.

obviously the fewer you slap on, the better the quality remains. If you're not going to be keeping them forever then it's fine. I bought some DVD-RW's soley to burn stuff onto that way if i'm taking stuff around a mates house.

Xbehave
September 9th, 2009, 02:17 AM
obviously the fewer you slap on, the better the quality remains. If you're not going to be keeping them forever then it's fine. I bought some DVD-RW's soley to burn stuff onto that way if i'm taking stuff around a mates house.
The videos are at a set quality, if he burns the videos onto a data-DVD he will not lose quality, but he will only be able to play the dvd in pcs and new(ish) dvd payers.

If he transcodes them to dvdfiles (i forget the extention) and then burns them to a video-DVD, then if he burns at a quality lower than the current files he will lose quality.

Regarding DVD quality: The highest quality a video-dvd can hold is 9.5Mb/s this gives just 62 mins of video per dvd, while the lowest that is considered dvd quality is 3Mb/s, this gives 3.3hrs of video, anything more than this is officially sub-dvd. I think 3.3 is enough to cram 2 films of average length in (about 99m each), however i suspect most modern dvds will be in the ~5Mb/s range and as such can only fit one film (119m)

btw im using the following math:
4.7*1024*8/(60*5)= time
^a ^b ^c
a = 4.37GiB
b = 8 B per b
c = encoding rate