PDA

View Full Version : Ending price in qbasic to be limited to x.xx

SpenceMakesSense
September 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I made a simple qbasic program that puts you through the process of ordering at a restaurant. Everything is almost perfect except the ending price is usually something like
$12.2322
Anyone know the code to make it just go to the hundreths spot?(x.xx)(my teacher has no clue)

JillSwift
September 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
http://faq.qbasicnews.com/?blast=RoundingNumbers

Google is your friend.

GeneralZod
September 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Floating point maths in computing is inherently error-prone and best avoided if accuracy is required. Many people do all of the calculations in cents and show this cent amount converted to dollars to the user.

MaxIBoy
September 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I don't know how to program BASIC (And I humbly submit that you learn something different because BASIC is awful,) but isn't there a built-in rounding function which lets you select a specific amount of precision? And if not, shouldn't you be able to multiply by a hundred and convert the number to integer?

If you want to be really fancy, you can do something like this:

price = price*1000
if price % 10 >= 5:
price = price+10
price = price-(price%10)
price = price/1000
But really, any self-respecting language has something like this:

price = round (price, 2) #round to two digits
Few other considerations:
*This forum is a bad place for homework questions.
*Seriously, your professor doesn't know how to do this? I could have taught you how to do that at age 10. (Actually, I could have done a better job, I knew BASIC back then. :) )

EDIT: GeneralZod is correct, you should do all the math in tenths of a cent (not whole cents, you need a rounding-error digit) and with integers. Integer math runs faster, but more importantly the results are guaranteed to be 100% precise (but not 100% correct, there's a difference.)