PDA

View Full Version : Stupid RAM ?

Slug71
September 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have a old P4 system which i got for free and want to use as a test system. It just needs ram and a hard drive both of which is pretty cheap these days.

It has four memory banks which support dual channel and im thinking two 1GB modules and two 512MB modules. What im not sure about though is will that put me over the 3GB limit for a 32bit OS?

Paqman
September 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Nope. 2 * 1 + 2 * 0.5 = 3

That's exactly what I have in my machine, btw.

hyperdude111
September 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I have a old P4 system which i got for free and want to use as a test system. It just needs ram and a hard drive both of which is pretty cheap these days.

It has four memory banks which support dual channel and im thinking two 1GB modules and two 512MB modules. What im not sure about though is will that put me over the 3GB limit for a 32bit OS?

I think the limit is about 3.8gb, but even with more the system will still work but only address the first 3.8 gb.

You can also install (if your using ubuntu) the ubuntu server kernel. That supports up to 64gb of RAM on a 32bit OS.

oldsoundguy
September 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
do a Google search and get the PDF manual for that particular board. During the time frame that the P IV was the hot new item, many boards did NOT support even 3gb of ram, I have a couple that have a 2mb limit and one that has a 768 limit! So, unless you check, you may be wasting your bucks!

Skripka
September 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Be careful about what RAM you get. Depending on what P4 family you have, it may support DDR(1) RAM or SDRAM or RDRAM.

Slug71
September 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys.

Its a Intel board that says D915GUX/D915PCM/D915GHA. I looked it up about a week ago and i cant remember exactly but it supported up to either 3 or 4GB of RAM.

Thinking of DDR2 533MHz PC4200 RAM which i think was supported too.

Will have to go double check though.