PDA

View Full Version : Is using an IDE better than using normal text editors?

MindSz
September 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
So, I've been programming for a while now (mostly C) and I use emacs. However, I've seen a lot of people use IDEs for programming (Eclipse, NetBeans, etc).

What I want to know is, what difference does it make? Is programming with IDEs better? Does it really make a difference?

What do you think?

Mirge
September 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Use whatever makes you more comfortable and productive. People are different and have different tastes.

Reiger
September 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Better? Depends on the programmer.

IDE's offer a lot to the table when it comes to "automating tedious/error-prone tasks" like variable renaming, building the project, taking care of dependencies, as well as syntax/type checking (where applicable) & integration with other tools (like version control). Plus you get an automated organization of your code in projects which is nice because it makes it easier to switch from one project to another and the IDE will adapt itself to the project specific settings on the fly. I find this more comfortable than manually browsing/typing in paths.

On the other hand if you don't use those features; (and have no plans/requirements for doing so) why not stick to a more lightweight editor?

For me an IDE is mostly a fancy text editor with some handy features/short-cuts & tools I like and many features I don't use but that do not get in the way so I don't mind their presence.

Bryantos
September 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I agree 100% with Mirge and Reiger. Depends on the person and whether or not you actually use the features in the IDE.

However, to add to that, I've never seen a more efficient programming text editor than emacs. Once you learn you way around in emacs, which it sounds like you do, I don't think you'll enjoy very many IDEs, but it never hurts to try them out.

Also, terminator + emacs makes an extremely sick combination. :guitar:

cak3
September 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Yea, as the others say, its a matter of preference. For large java projects, I like eclipse. IDE's can organize different files and offer debugging features etc, but for a quick edit or script, I prefer a text editor.

And don't listen to Bryantos, go with vim =P.
But no really, both vim and emacs are good code text editors, (though i prefer vim).

hessiess
September 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Personally I hate IDE's, they are much too complicated, Vim all the way.

Simian Man
September 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
IDEs are great so long as you don't rely on them as crutches. I often see people who rely on their IDE to automate the build process and never leanr the underlying tools involved (make, autotools etc.). As a result, when they do have to setup a build by hand they are totally lost.

This also inhibits people from trying new languages as they often don't have IDEs that can compete with the ones they are used to. These people are often stuck writing Java code forever and never try languages like Ocaml or Haskell.

That said a good IDE can really help with productivity.

nvteighen
September 9th, 2009, 07:04 AM
IDEs are great so long as you don't rely on them as crutches. I often see people who rely on their IDE to automate the build process and never leanr the underlying tools involved (make, autotools etc.). As a result, when they do have to setup a build by hand they are totally lost.

This also inhibits people from trying new languages as they often don't have IDEs that can compete with the ones they are used to. These people are often stuck writing Java code forever and never try languages like Ocaml or Haskell.

That said a good IDE can really help with productivity.

+1

The issues are not actually in IDEs, but in how most people use them... Relying on them as crutches.

I myself like Emacs as my IDE :D

j7%<RmUg
September 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Personally i use gedit + terminal, for pretty much any programming i do. Gedit is perfect for me since i dont code huge programs just between 1 and around 4k lines.

Although i cant go without using autoindent, syntax highlighting and built in python interpreter.

Although i do tend to use bluefish for my html.

mikejonesey
September 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
i personally would never use a simple notepad / gedit app for developing either code or markup, features like code highlighting and colour coding increase productivity for me greatly.

-grubby
September 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
i personally would never use a simple notepad / gedit app for developing either code or markup, features like code highlighting and colour coding increase productivity for me greatly.

... gedit has syntax highlighting.

mikejonesey
September 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
... gedit has syntax highlighting.

lol "normal text editors" then,

also most ide's allow tabbing of open pages, which is useful

-grubby
September 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM

gedit is a pretty decent editor for coding, have you actually used it?

hessiess
September 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Gedit has tabbing also. Personally I find Vim's `split screen' feature more usefal tho.

nvteighen
September 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I learned my first steps in (serious) programming using Gedit, so please, don't blame it. It's a great small editor for simple and not that simple things if you know how to use it.

Of course, in time, Gedit gets too limiting for any more advanced programming session.

koonsolo
September 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I've programmed with a lot of tools: XEmacs, gVim, Visual Studio, Netbeans, Eclipse and tons of others. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. The tool I would choose depends on the language and platform, but for me the most comfortable is definitely gVim. (And when programming in Visual Studio at the day job, I use ViEmu ;)).

Since you're already programming in XEmacs, my suggestion to you would be to start working with a true IDE for a few months. This way you can decide for yourself which one you prefer the most :).

JordyD
September 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Gedit has syntax highlighting. It's also very extensible through plugins. Although I agree with you on the notepad comment, I think gedit does a lot more than you might think.

EDIT: Err, nevermind, I didn't see that there was a page 2. I didn't know people had already made this comment.

Ackowa
September 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I usually use eclipse if I have the possibility for gui, I like the code completion and to be able to view what data is part of structs/classes.

On the other hand if I'm bound to a terminal I prefer emacs, and if I'm bound to Solaris I resort to vi