PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 17.04 "Zenithal Zebra" - The Final Frontier?

Marcel-X
September 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I was just wondering what will be the mascot naming convention will be after April 2017.

Maybe we won't get that far. Suppose Microsoft will reach their zenith in 2015 and establish a world-wide anti-competition regime?

As a Science Fiction reader I'm filled with horror, thinking about the megalomaniac powers that non-democratic corporations continue to develop.
Will there be one global corporation-government with their "War on Terror" against the last Free-Consumers?

So what will be the future for Open Source in general and Linux in specific?

madjr
September 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
the end of the world is in 2012 :(

Marcel-X
September 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM

How?

Bölvağur
September 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM

is that the year next server os ms releases?

MaxIBoy
September 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Pull a Windows drive letter. Move onto Amazing Baboon.

Skripka
September 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
How?

That is the year that h*ll freezes over, and the Lions finally win the Super Bowl.

vishzilla
September 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
2012 is the movie where the world ends :-D

ChrT
September 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Drop the ridiculous naming scheme and just use version numbers like a real distro.

But I suppose that'll happen after hell freezes over and the drop the brown default theme.

Marlonsm
September 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
We still have some time to think, but if we get that far (we never know what might happen in 8 years) I think they should restart the alphabet, remember there is no Ubuntu with A*** A*** name.

Vakman
September 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I actually like that name. But who knows if we will make it that far. After that I think they should restart the alphabet or try something completely different. Good name though :)
Thinking far, far ahead :P

jonathanysp
September 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well they do somewhat have a version number with the 9.04 and 9.10 coming out. And i do like this kinda quirky naming convention. Maybe they'll just restart it beginning with A this time. Anyways shouldnt zenithal zebra be 17.10?

Yea and im pretty sure the colour theme for zenithal will still be brown..but it may be prettier.

sideaway
September 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
They'll bring out Arduous Aardvark of course! :)

Simian Man
September 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Eight years is a *long* time for Linux. I doubt Ubuntu will even exist at that time.

jonathanysp
September 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Eight years is a *long* time for Linux. I doubt Ubuntu will even exist at that time.

that is true...since its open sourced, linux can grow rapidly and exponentially, maybe they wouldve forked it and another awesome distro will take over ubuntu

sideaway
September 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I hope it will. It appears to be a distro that's formed a large community, dedicated followers and developers, it has commercial support. I think it has the key ingredients to last. If this Distrobution is the one to take *nix so atleast some of the masses, I hope it's going to be around for a while yet!

CP1256
September 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I don't really think Windows nor Linux would exist then.

fishy6969
September 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I just want 'P' to be 'Puking Parrot'!!!

sideaway
September 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I think Linux as a whole will be around most definitely... and Microsoft isn't going anywhere fast. 2017 is only 8 years away. Windows XP is 8 years old... Not that far fetched to suggest both Ubuntu, and Microsoft will still be around. In fact I think it's ludicris to suggest otherwise.

Skripka
September 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Don't be so sure. People are still trying to get HURD working...20+ years after folks started making jokes about it.

joebodo
September 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM

There are people still running win95 today...

Chronon
September 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I run two Win95 machines at my work.

Namtabmai
September 8th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Drop the ridiculous naming scheme and just use version numbers like a real distro.

But I suppose that'll happen after hell freezes over and the drop the brown default theme.

Yeah, they should start using a numbering scheme, like 8.10, 9.04 or something and keep these weird names as code names or something when they are developing.

Vaeil
September 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
drop the brown default theme.

October?

Exodist
September 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
How?

End of the Myan calender :-)

MasterNetra
September 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
How?

Its when M$ releases a intelligent OS that gains a will of its own and either takes over the world or destroys it. Most likely the latter. :p

tgalati4
September 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Follow microsoft's lead, after drive Z: start with AA:

AA:\

Chronon
September 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
End of the Myan calender :-)

You know what I do when I finish a calendar? I put up a new one.

vishzilla
September 9th, 2009, 12:35 AM
2017, Skynet takes over!!! :P

Jesus_Valdez
September 9th, 2009, 12:56 AM
My money its on Allmigthy Ant.

Spencer Caplan
September 9th, 2009, 01:04 AM

Why would it NOT exist? It is already the largest distribution. Given time, I think that it will only grow stronger. It may never reach a truly significant total usage when compared to Windows, but Ubuntu and Linux are here to stay.

Simian Man
September 9th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Why would it NOT exist? It is already the largest distribution. Given time, I think that it will only grow stronger. It may never reach a truly significant total usage when compared to Windows, but Ubuntu and Linux are here to stay.

I know Linux is here to stay, I just don't think Ubuntu will be - at least not as the same deal it is today. 8 years ago, Red Hat Linux and Mandrake Linux were the two biggest distros. Today they live on as Fedora and Mandriva, but they have both had significant reorganization.

I bet there will be a new distribution that addresses some of Ubuntus shortcomings.

angryfirelord
September 9th, 2009, 03:02 AM
that is true...since its open sourced, linux can grow rapidly and exponentially, maybe they wouldve forked it and another awesome distro will take over ubuntu
Or a new distro based off of something else comes out altogether. After all, before Ubuntu hit the scene, Mandriva and Red Hat Linux were at the top of their prime. In a way, Red Hat's been fighting back with Fedora, but I'm sure those users back in 2002 may have thought they would have been on top for a bit longer.

Of course, the Ubuntu team seems to be running smoothly so far at this point. Mandriva went on a decline due to company issues and Red Hat didn't see much investment in the desktop at that time. So Ubuntu kind of got lucky since the project was able to fill the void.

My only main concern is that Canonical still isn't profitable. While it does have revenue, it still relies on Shuttleworth's pockets in order to keep itself afloat. That's no problem in the short run and any type of entrepreneur expects to take a loss, but in the long run Canonical needs to start gaining market share.

chessnerd
September 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I think we should move from animals to something else, like foods ("Avid Apple") or places ("Awesome Alps"). I kinda like the idea of using places more than foods, but "Crazy Chocolate" would work with the brown theme...

Very true, but look at Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, and Slackware. Slackware has been going for 16 years, Red Hat and SuSE for 15, and Debian for 13. Ubuntu is going as strong as any of them. It has the most market share of any distro. It's name has almost become synonymous with Linux. It was picked as the official distro for Dell, and it has almost as many derivatives as those distros made in the 90s. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon and as long as there are developers willing to work on it, Ubuntu will exist.

That said, I seriously like "Zenithal Zebra." If Ubuntu makes it to 17.04, that should be the name.