PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] First BIG problem

Vegelien
September 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hello,

I've been using Ubuntu for quite some while now. Had problems with it but solved them myself. Installed it on several computers. I currently have a problem with my laptop.
I use Kubuntu, with Knetworkmanager for my wireless connection.
Today I upgraded to Jaunty. When the upgrade was done and I logged back is after the reset some things stopped working.

- The terminal is not working. If I open konsole the screen stays blank and I can't type anything. If I open Terminal a message apears: "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal"

-- If i use CRTL ALT F1 to start a screen with only shell. It says "No previous session resuming normal boot" And just stops working. I can still swich back to the CRTL ALT F7 and work there but nothing happens in the first screen.

- Knetwork manager is not starting on startup. I can probably fix this myself after the terminal is working again but i tought it might be related

So I hope someone can help. If you need more info just ask.

Vegelien
September 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Found an additional problem. To try and solve the wireless issues I tried to uninstall Knetworkmanager and install another wireless manager using synaptic.
I got the following message as I started the installation: "Error failed to fork pty"
Anyone know what that means?

Vegelien
September 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Haven't got it working. I got frustrated and started trying things. They didn't work but broke my laptop. So after cursing the thing for a while. I now have a fresh install of ubuntu And it works.

End of story