PDA

View Full Version : Some Ubuntu WOWS!

Master Shake
February 5th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Another WOW! From Ubuntu

I decided to reinstall Ubuntu a few days ago, as I wasn't happy with the condition of the install, what with all my mucking about with other desktops. This time I made XFCE the default (that's a different topic, but I shant be going back to gnome or KDE). Two big WOWS! From Ubuntu this time...

THe last install, I was told that I needed to install a linux driver from HP's site to get my all-in-one working. Guess what? I didn't as it was already included in the distro! (and this a recent HP printer, the 1401). Plus, I was putzing around with a game today (xzb... Try it.. its fun!), but I couldn't move my ship... SSo I decided to try my cheap $15 wal-mart controller... It worked! Didn't even have to load a driver!

Ubuntu just keeps getting better and better for me!

benguin
February 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Cool. So you have a HP all-in-one (scanner/printer/fax/copier)? Did you get the scanner working on that machine? I have an old officejet T45, only the printer works so far. Would love to know if and how you got the scanners and the rest working. Btw, the printer works out of the box if its turned on and plugged in at the installation. The printer, again, is parallel port, not USB.

Thanks!
-J-

Master Shake
February 6th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Yup. That's working too.

To be honest, I don't remember what I did, but its working fine.

I'll poke around, and tell ya what I did as soon as I figure it out (It was damn simple, I remember that.)

benguin
February 6th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Yup. That's working too.

To be honest, I don't remember what I did, but its working fine.

I'll poke around, and tell ya what I did as soon as I figure it out (It was damn simple, I remember that.)

Thanks. What application do you use for scanning though? I tried from GIMP, but it could not find a scanner.

Thanks,
-J-

Master Shake
February 6th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks. What application do you use for scanning though? I tried from GIMP, but it could not find a scanner.

Thanks,
-J-

XSane is what I used. As far as the printing goes, I'm not finding the app I used in XFCE. I'll neeed to drop to gnome.