PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista in C:, Ubuntu in D:

urgood2
September 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone! I need some help... I downloaded Ubuntu today, and am using the demo version (does nothing to computer)... Is it possible to install ubuntu in hard disk D? Because I have hard disks C: and D:, and I'm using Vista in C:. What can I do?

Megaptera
September 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
What do you have in 'D' at present?
In my case I had a Dell 'factory restore' partition in 'E' and my docs etc in 'D' with Vista in 'C'.

As I have the three Dell recovery discs as well, I deleted the content of 'E' giving free space of 20gb (having checked the discs did work beforehand!!). I then installed Ubuntu to 'largest continuous free space' and let the installer do the rest.

I hope that's the type of info you're looking for?

Partyboi2
September 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
If you are wanting to install Ubuntu to its own partition you can follow this (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm). If you are wanting to use your "d" partition to install Ubuntu, use the disk management tool that comes with Vista and delete your d partition. Make sure there is nothing on it that you want to keep, or that it is a backup partition, as deleting it will wipe all data on the partition. Then skip to page 3 of the how to and install Ubuntu. Linux does not use letters to name partitions like windows does, you will usually see linux partitions listed as /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 etc...