PDA

View Full Version : Installing from Minimal CD.

toejamfootball
September 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I reinstalled Jaunty just the other day, and decided to install from the mini.iso. I just installed GDM and apps I use all the time, music player, vlc, pidgin, abiword etc, I can't remember all the others I needed to get the display going right but I got there.

It feels to me like my system is much faster than it was from the full disk. So I am pretty happy.

Is this just because there is less going on?

Paqman
September 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Is this just because there is less going on?

Most likely, yes. I built a stripped-down Gnome system from the minimal CD the other day and it idled at 80MB of RAM and only took up 1.2G on the drive. That's pretty damn lightweight.

If you installed by choosing the "ubuntu desktop" option then you've probably got the exact same system as if you used the LiveCD though. The way to build a lighter system is to install a CLI-only machine then add the GUI packages.

toejamfootball
September 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Most likely, yes. I built a stripped-down Gnome system from the minimal CD the other day and it idled at 80MB of RAM and only took up 1.2G on the drive. That's pretty damn lightweight.

If you installed by choosing the "ubuntu desktop" option then you've probably got the exact same system as if you used the LiveCD though. The way to build a lighter system is to install a CLI-only machine then add the GUI packages.
Yep this is what I did, no gnome-desktop for me D:

cmay
September 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I also use the minimal ubuntu iso and build myself a system with openbox instead of gnome. Only on my laptop i have to use the ordinary livecd image because it does not like the video card and it for some reason dont load any drovers for my netcard.

Paqman
September 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Yep this is what I did, no gnome-desktop for me D:

I like gnome-core + themes + FUSA + firefox-3.5-gnome-support. All the meat, none of the lard.

XubuRoxMySox
September 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I did that too. Minimal Ubuntu install, added only LXDE (my favorite desktop) and favorite applications, restricted-extras, w32 codecs and the like. The result is a super-lightweight Ubuntu that runs all my favorite apps at mind-bending speed on an old Dell Dinosaur.

Watch the Lubuntu project... it hopes to be the "official" Ubuntu LXDE variant (add Lubuntu to the list with Xubuntu and Kubuntu). It promises to be much faster and lighter than Xubuntu.

-Robin

toejamfootball
September 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I like gnome-core + themes + FUSA + firefox-3.5-gnome-support. All the meat, none of the lard.

Pretty much what I got, plus a few more apps. What is FUSA?

I did that too. Minimal Ubuntu install, added only LXDE (my favorite desktop) and favorite applications, restricted-extras, w32 codecs and the like. The result is a super-lightweight Ubuntu that runs all my favorite apps at mind-bending speed on an old Dell Dinosaur.

Watch the Lubuntu project... it hopes to be the "official" Ubuntu LXDE variant (add Lubuntu to the list with Xubuntu and Kubuntu). It promises to be much faster and lighter than Xubuntu.

-Robin

I am d/l the .iso now, will give it a go tomorrow.

cmay
September 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM

-Robin
I use LXDE on debian lenny when i use Debian. i like it very much but i also use LXDE along openbox sometimes on ubuntu. I am very exited to see the lubuntu get released as a installable livecd and i hope it to be as soon as possible .

toejamfootball
September 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I use LXDE on debian lenny when i use Debian. i like it very much but i also use LXDE along openbox sometimes on ubuntu. I am very exited to see the lubuntu get released as a installable livecd and i hope it to be as soon as possible .
I just spent about 20 minutes messing around wiht the Live CD, it felt pretty good. Didn;t run into any bugs, but of course need to spend more time with it.

For some reason not matter how many different lightwieght DE's I try, I still come back to Gnome, it's just comfy.... I like it the best.

Paqman
September 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Pretty much what I got, plus a few more apps. What is FUSA?

Yeah, I chuck in a few other packages too. FUSA is fast-user-switch-applet.