PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Taskbar on the bottom of the screen missing!!

inversionce
September 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
well i left my house and my little cousins pressed something on my computer and now my task bar is missing and i cant find out how to put it back. any help will be nice.

ad_267
September 8th, 2009, 03:40 AM
The whole panel is missing or just the task bar applet?

If the panel is there but no taskbar, right click on the panel and select "Add to panel", then add a taskbar. If there's no panel you have to right click on the other panel and select "Add panel", then add all the stuff you need to the new panel.

megamasha
October 27th, 2009, 06:39 AM
OK, I have the same problem. This is with plasma running on the latest (at time of writing) clean install of kubuntu.

It's my own stupid fault really - I pressed, 'yes, I'm sure I want to remove this panel'.
Now I got as far as finding the task manager widget and adding it back onto the desktop, so I can at least see my running windows and switch between them with the mouse, but now it's just floating around, and I can't work out how to dock it back to the bottom of the screen as it was before.

Pleeeease can anyone help me? I spent the last day or two tweaking, and I don't really want to reinstall the os.

A massive thank you in advance if you can sort me out on this one!

Rob

ad_267
October 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM
You will need to add a new panel at the bottom of the screen first. Right click on your desktop and select Add Panel. Then edit the panel to add new widgets to it, including a task manager.

darkksyde
October 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Right click the top panel and click add new panel

megamasha
October 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
***This is for Kubuntu/KDE***

OK, thanks very much, but that option isn't available.

Oh, I've worked it out now, so here are the steps for anyone who has the same problem:

If your bar (application launcher, taskbar, system tray, digital clock etc.) at the bottom of the screen has gone missing, and you want it back, try these steps:

1) You need to click 'add panel'. This should be in the right-click menu on the desktop. If it's there, click it and skip to step 5. If it's NOT there (you see things like 'Icons' and 'Refresh desktop') continue to step 2 below.

2) Right-click on the desktop and select 'appearance settings'. This should open up a 'Desktop settings - Plasma Workspace' dialogue.

3) In Desktop Activity at the top, where it says 'Type:', change 'Folder View' to 'Desktop' and press OK. Don't worry, you can change it back to Folder view again when you're finished if you like.

4) You should now be able to click 'Add Panel' as in step 1. Once you've done that, continue to step 5 below.

5) Now you should have a bar on one edge of your screen (mine was at the top). To move it back down to the bottom, right-click the bar, and click panel settings, then click and drag the 'Screen Edge' button to the bottom of the screen.

6) You can now add widgets by right clicking the bar and selecting 'Add Widgets' (you may have to unlock widgets first). The original Widgets are (from left to right, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong* - I'm going from memory here):

Application launcher
Task Manager
Pager
Show Widget Dashboard
System Tray
Device Notifier
Digital Clock.

7) Done!

I hope this is helpful to someone else. Please feel free to copy/paste it to other threads or link here

Rob

*Could someone please confirm this for me?

ad_267
October 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM
darkksyde: megamasha's problem is for KDE

Yes that all looks right to me. I was using KDE 4.3 which had the "Add Panel" option in both the Folder View and Desktop view.

Anonymousable
October 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Change the prefix to kubuntu please, I was very confused when it said "ubuntu" and you're talking about the plasma workspace.

ad_267
October 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
The original post was about Ubuntu. So really this should be in a separate thread.

megamasha
October 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Sorry, my bad. I'll try to fix that..

Rob

CadetD
February 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks, been kicking myself trying to figure this one out.