PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what kind of packages will dpkg deal with

flylehe
September 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hi,
It seems that dpkg is not aware of packages installed from source and installed from some cdrom or .iso (like Matlab). I found this from dpkg -l. Nothing I mentioned shows from the list it gives.

Does it mean dpkg can only manage those packages installed via apt-get install? Is Synaptic Package Manager same as dpkg besides being Graphical?

Is it possible to manage those packages installed from source or cdrom or .iso just as conveniently as by dpkg or synaptic Package Manager?

Thanks and regards!

flylehe
September 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Hi,
It seems that dpkg is not aware of packages installed from source and installed from some cdrom or .iso (like Matlab). I found this from dpkg -l. Nothing I mentioned shows from the list it gives.

Does it mean dpkg can only manage those packages installed via apt-get install? Is Synaptic Package Manager same as dpkg besides being Graphical?

Is it possible to manage those packages installed from source or cdrom or .iso just as conveniently as by dpkg or synaptic Package Manager?

Thanks and regards!

cariboo
September 8th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Dpkg only deals with .deb files. If you are installing from source, install checkinstall and use it instead of typing make. It will create a .deb.file for you.

Windows Nerd
September 8th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Dpkg will deal with the same things as apt-get, I believe.

Scott