PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need help with pre-install choices

u-bun-tu-me-larry
September 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
A friend provided me a live disk with Ubuntu 9.04.
I ran from the disk and liked what I saw.

Now I want to run from a hard drive.
But I want to do so as a test and not take any chances of messing up my computer.

Some friends suggested these options-

1. Use an external hard drive that plugs into a usb port and install Utumbu on it.

2. buy an inexpensive used computer just to use for testing

3. install a 2nd hard drive on my current computer and load Utumbu to it.

I know the other options are to

- load Utumbu to my current hard drive in a dual-boot mode (I have m/s win xp pro)
I may try this but I'm a little bit scared to try it

- load utumbu as my only o/s and eliminate M/S win x/p - NO WAY, I must evaluate
Utumbu first.

What is your opinion / experience with these options ?

thank you so much for any help --- Larry

k33bz
September 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
In my opinion the easiest way and the best way (especially if you want to keep Windows), is to dual boot both Ubuntu and Windows, with a different hard drive. That is the way I had ti for years in my desktop. Which still is to this day.

pythonscript
September 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
You can always install ubuntu on a usb flash drive, assuming you have one 4 gb or over (that's definitely enough space for the whole installation). Buying a used computer seems expensive... but if you have room on your hard drive, use gparted to set up a partition for ubuntu and install a dual boot without ever touching your win xp installation. This link should get you going.

http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

Sidewinder1
September 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
All of the options you've listed are totally viable. I'm still dual booting with my XP Pro (somewhat ashamed to admit that I haven't totally switched) :-) You may wish to familiarize yourself with the ramifications; below is a great link:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
HTH,
Side

oboedad55
September 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM
You can always install ubuntu on a usb flash drive, assuming you have one 4 gb or over (that's definitely enough space for the whole installation). Buying a used computer seems expensive... but if you have room on your hard drive, use gparted to set up a partition for ubuntu and install a dual boot without ever touching your win xp installation. This link should get you going.

http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

Dual boot works well, but make sure that before you resize the drive you defrag XP thoroughly. I have found this out the hard way...

florus
September 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Dual booting has many advantages, but remember to delete all but the most recent of your restore points before partitioning. That will create more space on your hard disk.

mike555
September 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I would suggest dual boot , read the instructions carefully or you might delete windows... it's all about partitioning and installing to the right one...

The Cog
September 8th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Another vote for dual boot here.

But make sure you back up all your data first. A mistake while repartitioning can lead to disappointment. And knowing you have a backup can reduce stress levels while you're doing it.