PDA

View Full Version : A Virus Has Been Found... Now What?

shinkaide
September 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Though well aware that Linux is quite virus-proof, I still run scans every now and then with Avast to avoid inadvertently spreading it to other people who use Windows.

On my recent scan, Avast detected the file from ClamAV
/var/lib/clamav/daily.cld as a virus (or trojan, rather). I would imagine that's got something to do with ClamAV's own files.

My questions are:

Is it really a virus/trojan?
Avast can't do anything with the file. Would it be dangerous to "sudo rm" the file?
I have WINE installed. Should this concern me, with regard to virus susceptibility?

I'm reasonably adept at using Linux systems, though sometimes I don't have a complete grasp of how exactly the stuff under the hood works.

dragos240
September 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
This post doesn't exist.

XDevHald
September 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Modified: See above post

.Maleficus.
September 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
From what Google tells me, that's Clam's definitions file. It's not a virus and you shouldn't remove it if you still use Clam. What you should remove are both of those scanners though - they do you no good under Linux. Any vulnerability under Linux will patched before virus definitions are out. You're wasting resources by using those.

shinkaide
September 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Interesting. Let me google that for you. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%2Fvar%2Flib%2Fclamav%2Fdaily.cld)

I have previously tried that and the results weren't of too much help for my specific case (it was clamAV's file). That's why I wanted to ask people who know more than I do, sir.

lswb
September 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM
From what Google tells me, that's Clam's definitions file. It's not a virus and you shouldn't remove it if you still use Clam. What you should remove are both of those scanners though - they do you no good under Linux. Any vulnerability under Linux will patched before virus definitions are out. You're wasting resources by using those.

Using a virus scanner where the linux system is serving files to windows systems is a valid use case.

shinkaide
September 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM

Thanks!

misfitpierce
September 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Using a virus scanner where the linux system is serving files to windows systems is a valid use case.

Indeed but thats about it.

cariboo
September 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Why are you serving files to Windows systems without an av scanner?

calrogman
September 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Also, mail servers. You should always scan mail servers you know are (or don't know aren't) going to be used by Windows users (and increasingly so, Mac OS users).

thisllub
September 8th, 2009, 04:37 AM
It is also essential on a dual boot system.
When the inevitable virus attack hits the Windows partition at least the virus can be identified and possibly repaired.

I have removed viruses from a few crippled Windows machines this way.