PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what should I delete B4 I upgrade?

DaveRowell
September 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I have "/" and "swap" partitions and a well backed-up /home partition - not only my personal stuff but also everything that aps have dumped in there.

Recently I did a clean (from alternate .iso) upgrade to 9.04 and had problems that seemed to relate to the configuration information from a previous version. I went back to 8.10. No big deal; I'm retired so I have a day to waste!

I plan on upgrading to 9.10 a while after it is released. I'm thinking of deleting all the hidden files/folders from /home except those relating to Firefox/Thunderbird and Wine. Then doing a clean install using the alternate .iso.

This make sense or should I be a trifle less ambitious?

Dave Rowell - KI4JVU

running_rabbit07
September 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM
If you delete programs files from the /home you may have to format that drive during install. I could be wrong.

theZoid
September 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I have "/" and "swap" partitions and a well backed-up /home partition - not only my personal stuff but also everything that aps have dumped in there.

Recently I did a clean (from alternate .iso) upgrade to 9.04 and had problems that seemed to relate to the configuration information from a previous version. I went back to 8.10. No big deal; I'm retired so I have a day to waste!

I plan on upgrading to 9.10 a while after it is released. I'm thinking of deleting all the hidden files/folders from /home except those relating to Firefox/Thunderbird and Wine. Then doing a clean install using the alternate .iso.

This make sense or should I be a trifle less ambitious?

Dave Rowell - KI4JVU

I do basically that all the time....just delete anything specific to the old Ubuntu version and keep the rest on /home. You won't have to reformat /home. You seem to have the right idea.