PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Options with Ubuntu Netbook?

Kemara
September 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
My EEE Pc netbook arrived last week, and I have installed the 9.04 netbook remix. I can connect to the internet with my ethernet cable but wireless would be more convenient.

I'm using Charter Cable with my Emac through the ethernet connection. I chatted with Charter customer support last night and told them I was running Linux and could they hook me up. She said yes. I stressed that this was Linux and the tech who installed my ethernet connection had never seen a Mac before. I also told her that the netbook doesn't have a CD drive and thus no way to install software. She was totally stumped and could not help me.

Is there some possible way I can get wireless? I didn't intend to use it with a netbook,...that's why I chose Linux instead of Windows (among other reasons), but it would be much easier than unplugging cables and resetting my modem every time I need to update/download software from the repos.

And if you're curious why I would get a netbook not intended to surf the web....I wanted it mainly for word processing. I can't lift anything heavier than 5 pounds so this little guy was my choice. Now I love Ubunutu and wish I'd discovered it years ago.

accaflacca
September 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
The first thing you should do is buy a wireless router. Any would work fine, as long as they are 802.11g or n. Also buy another ethernet cable. Then plug the ethernet cable from the Charter Cable bok to the router, and another from the router to the Emac. Then configure the router and add a WPA passkey so nobody else can hack into your network. Then connect the netbook to the wireless with the WPA passkey and you should be able to use the netbook wirelessly, and the emac through the wired connection without changin cables. Also, with the wireless connection, you can use the internet anywhere within 50ft of the router.

John Buck
:guitar:

LewRockwell
September 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
The first thing you should do is buy a wireless router. Any would work fine, as long as they are 802.11g or n. Also buy another ethernet cable. Then plug the ethernet cable from the Charter Cable bok to the router, and another from the router to the Emac. Then configure the router and add a WPA passkey so nobody else can hack into your network. Then connect the netbook to the wireless with the WPA passkey and you should be able to use the netbook wirelessly, and the emac through the wired connection without changin cables. Also, with the wireless connection, you can use the internet anywhere within 50ft of the router.

John Buck
:guitar:

WPA...not anymore...

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6837/1/