PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or Desktop

ubudog
September 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hi, Is a Laptop or a Desktop better for Ubuntu?

stefangr1
September 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hi, Is a Laptop or a Desktop better for Ubuntu?

I guess the answer depends entirely on how you define better... I don't think Ubuntu has a preference for either of the two.

Baneblade
September 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
That entirely depends on what you want to do with it.
"Best" is a subjective term.
What do you want this computer for? Does it need to be mobile? How much power do you need from your machine?
Answering those will give you your answer.

linux_tech
September 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
You can install on either. Depend on what you need to do with it. Desktops are more practical for more cpu intensive applications because they are easier to upgrade and keep cool.

khelben1979
September 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
If you're thinking about performance, a stationary pc is usually more powerful and it affects the performance of Ubuntu as well.

Whiffle
September 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'll take "What is Both?" for $500, Alex.

plb
September 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I ditched all my desktops and have just used my laptop for the past 2 years. If you're into gaming I'd say get a desktop otherwise, get a laptop.

collinp
September 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
It depends upon what you need. But, serious number crunching/performance = Desktop while portability = laptop.
Yes, there are some laptops out there that can match some desktops (the Asus G series is a example) but those are generally big and very hot.. not exactly the most portable things.

gn2
September 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Laptop is the obvious choice because you can easily take your Ubuntu with you wherever you go. :)
With a desktop you usually have to leave it at home. :(

Screwdriver0815
September 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
having both is the best :D

ubudog
September 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Yes.

hessiess
September 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Desktop, more upgradable.

Skripka
September 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM

If by "best" and "both" you mean a cheap netbook and a tower, yes. Notebooks are an expensive noman's land between towers and netbooks...far more expensive than netbooks, yet far less computing power than a (far cheaper) desktop.

Whiffle
September 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
If by "best" and "both" you mean a cheap netbook and a tower, yes. Notebooks are an expensive noman's land between towers and netbooks...far more expensive than netbooks, yet far less computing power than a (far cheaper) desktop.

I'd rather have my old T43 than a netbook. Its still very portable (14"), and yet has enough power to run pretty much anything I need to run, even if its not as fast as my desktop. Considering how many reports/programs/diagrams and such I've created on it, I'd never want a netbook for that purpose (small keyboards, for one thing...)

hellmet
September 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
If you want something solidly reliable and pretty cheap, with a huge monitor and a cool CPU, get a desktop. The best thing about a desktop is the ability to upgrade easily and replace parts when faulty, especially the keyboard. You also get a real mouse instead of having to keep wiping the touchpad's *** or fiddling with the red knob (on a thinkpad). Cons: No mobility at all.
For me, a good combination would be to get a nice desktop for home and a netbook for mobility if you're like me who doesn't travel out of city too often. You can easily get this combo for the price of a nice laptop.

gn2
September 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
~ You can easily get this combo for the price of a nice laptop.

Are you sure (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170200)?

RiceMonster
September 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Yeah, but I find netbooks unusable. The resolution is way too low, and the tiny keyboard is incredibly akward to type on.

cookieofdoom
September 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Personally I find that both options are pretty pathetic compared to the raw power of Linux on a toaster oven.

On a more serious note... Desktops are a tiny bit better, because if something doesn't work right it's very easy to replace with something that does work right. You can end up quite stuck with a laptop.

The best solution, though, is to figure out what you need to do with it, and buy appropriately. It also helps to do a lot of research to make sure whatever you buy will work with Linux out of the box (check reviews, forums, google, etc).

speedwell68
September 7th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I run Ubuntu on a desktop, laptop and netbook. As all three machines are of different specification and for different purposes, it is impossible to compare.

Xbehave
September 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
if you want a cheap or powerful system go with a desktop.
if you want a portable one (e.g im typing this from my bed) go for a laptop.

A desktop is easier to change hardware in so its easier to get 100% supported hardware.

chessnerd
September 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
From my understanding a desktop is better for Ubuntu because of power management issues. I've read many a thread from laptop users complaining about lack of battery power. Karmic is supposed to have some improvements in this area, but Ubuntu currently uses more power than Windows on laptops. So, if you are running a laptop on battery, you'll run out of power quicker in Ubuntu. I don't think it is a huge difference, but it'll probably cost you about 20-30 minutes and, if you have a three hour class/meeting/plane ride, you're gonna need every last second...

Skripka
September 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but I find netbooks unusable. The resolution is way too low, and the tiny keyboard is incredibly akward to type on.

It depends on what you are wanting to do. My netbook (MSI Wind U123)I don't find to constraining, but that is me and my hands. For note typing/internet/email etc it is fine. I wouldn't want to have to type my whole dissertation on it-but for typing notes from my 3 hour seminar I have-it is fine for me.

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I've only really thought of Desktops as real computers, and laptops as portable toys.

Just my opinion, of course, but can you perform endless upgrades on a laptop? Install new cards? Change your case? Have more than one hard drive/cd drive? Setup a raid?

Not a fan of laptops. A netbook and a desktop are fine, but I don't need a full laptop.

Screwdriver0815
September 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM

my Laptop has cost appr. the same as my desktop. But I have to admit, it is a little bit slower. But with an Intel Pentium Duo (2x 2 Ghz) and 2 gb RAM it has plenty of power too.

battery life is around 2 hours 20 minutes (depending on the tasks) with Jaunty and before Intrepid (was the same)

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
my Laptop has cost appr. the same as my desktop. But I have to admit, it is a little bit slower. But with an Intel Pentium Duo (2x 2 Ghz) and 2 gb RAM it has plenty of power too.

A desktop with a dual core 2ghz processor and 2gbs of ram could be built for a little over $200, yet I'm betting your laptop cost alot more than that.

Hosmion
September 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I think UBuntU works better on my laptop... Quicker, can connect to the internet quicker.. Can go farther and still get the internet for some reason :D.. The speed in general of my computer is relatively high...

MikeTheC
September 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
It really depends, just like everyone else upthread of me is saying (well, for the most part, anyhow).

That being said, I have put it on laptops before, and hopefully soon I've got a high school friend who's laptop I'm going to be setting up with Ubuntu. She and her husband and kids will really get a lot of mileage and benefit out of it, I think.

Screwdriver0815
September 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
A desktop with a dual core 2ghz processor and 2gbs of ram could be built for a little over $200, yet I'm betting your laptop cost alot more than that.

450 euros (don't know what it is in $) and the desktop too. But the desktop has a 2x 3 ghz processor.

but you can not compare german prices with the US or Australia. Over there everything is much cheaper than over here in germany