PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help getting my old files from hal.dll-ed windows

peregrine1
September 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I would really appreciate help here.. this is the situation:

This morning couldn't run windows because of a hal.dll problem

no CD/DVD drive so installed Ubuntu 9.04 via USB - and i'm converted!

Gained access to my windows files following an online guide
ubuntu currently running from USB drive and cant seem to put it on the HDD as windows partition is hogging all the space.

My problem is that i dont know how save my needed files from windows either in ubuntu or elsewhere or change the size the partition that has my data on it in gparted. The maximum and minimum are the same so the little bar cannot be moved and the USB is all but full with Ubuntu. I'm a complete Newbie to all of this and suprised i've gotten this far.

I only want all my music and photos etc and am more than eager to see the windows wiped clean afterwards, as my computer is working like new in Ubuntu:guitar:.

So two things, how do i get the Ubuntu OS working direct from my laptop rather than the USB, and how do i get my windows files home and dry?

Many, many thanks to whoever can assist.

stlsaint
September 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
well first off welcome to ubuntu. you need to download a livecd. it will become your best friend as you encounter any issues. most problems can be fixed via livecd. So you download from here (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu) for jaunty 9.04 iso. Once you download the livecd you can install from there onto your hdd. See HowtoInstall (https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/installation-guide/i386/index.html) for jaunty installation. REMEMBER DO NOT FORMAT YOUR WINDOWS PARTITION!! once you have installed ubuntu you can mount your windows partition into ubuntu to access your files. Better yet ubuntu will ask you to import your use profile from windows into ubuntu. It will take all your music, pics, documents, etc into ubuntu so you can access them as you were in windows. If you have any issues please see here again in the forums. This is your best place for help along side the irc channel #ubuntu.

peregrine1
September 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Much appreciated, but two things - is there a difference between LIVECD and the ubuntu on my USB stick? i thought i'd put the iso on my stick in lieu of burning a CD.
(since i've no cd drive) secondly i need help on creating partitionable space on my HD because it all seems to be taken up by the windows partition and since i cant open windows i cant change the partition size from there.

btw this may all be academic now as i spilled soft-drink all over my laptop and the mouse is not responding:confused:. Not my day!