PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error message during install 8.04

misswham
September 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
i am trying to dual boot 8.04 with vista on a laptop with vista installed first. i went to disk management in vista and shrunk the partition. i booted from cd and clicked english then install it takes me to a screen saying

udevd-event {1541}: run_program '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

BusyBox v.13 (Debian 1:1.1./3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs)

what is this and what do i do from this point to dual boot?

LewRockwell
September 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
how did it perform while in LiveCD mode?

try the newer version(9.04)?

Jazzy_Jeff
September 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I get the same error messages every time I try to install with the Live CD. I would recommend downloading the alternate install cd. It is all text based but easy to follow.

misswham
September 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
i have decided to try 9.04, have gotten to prepare disk space and i have gone down and selected use the largest continuous free space and when i select that it says

/dev/sda1-windows vista(loader)(/dev/sda2)-ubuntu 9.04-windowsvis(/dev/sda3)
1.5gb 137.9gb 2.5gb 7.2gb

now the free space that i have allocated is actually 48.5gbs it says that on the graph above, how do I get the install to recognizer the 48.5 instead of 2.5 gbs?

also i when to specify partitions manually and on there i see the free space and the size says 52067mb and that is where i want to install the ubuntu 9.04.

what do u suggest that i do at this point?

LewRockwell
September 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I get the same error messages every time I try to install with the Live CD. I would recommend downloading the alternate install cd. It is all text based but easy to follow.

how did it run just using the LiveCD function?

have you tried 9.04 yet?

new threads should be started for each individual trouble-call

Jazzy_Jeff
September 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
how did it run just using the LiveCD function?

have you tried 9.04 yet?

new threads should be started for each individual trouble-call

It runs fine under the LiveCD function. But got errors on install. This is not a trouble call. I found the alternate install cd works great and that is all I ever use anymore when installing.

misswham
September 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM
i have decided to try 9.04, have gotten to prepare disk space and i have gone down and selected use the largest continuous free space and when i select that it says

/dev/sda1-windows vista(loader)(/dev/sda2)-ubuntu 9.04-windowsvis(/dev/sda3)
1.5gb 137.9gb 2.5gb 7.2gb

now the free space that i have allocated is actually 48.5gbs it says that on the graph above, how do I get the install to recognizer the 48.5 instead of 2.5 gbs?

also i when to specify partitions manually and on there i see the free space and the size says 52067mb and that is where i want to install the ubuntu 9.04.

what do u suggest that i do at this point?