PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] New install comes up "grub>" -- stuck

huffcs
September 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I installed MythBuntu 9.04 to a 15GB test drive successfully. Swapped for a 40GB disk to go production, but now it won't boot up completely. It finds the MBR code and starts grub, but promptly goes to "grub>" prompt and stops. I don't get any menu of kernels to choose from at all.

I mounted the /boot partition while running from the live cd and the contents look okay, but I don't know enough to do more than see that the grub/menu.lst exists and doesn't look patently corrupt.

I tried the find command at the grub> prompt and finally found /grub/stage1 on (hd0,0), which is what I would expect (although the thread I got the idea to try this from talks about finding /boot/grub/stage1 -- perhaps the difference is because I put /boot on its own partition?).

FWIW, the 15GB system was partitioned thusly:
/boot 98M /dev/sdb1 (Primary)
/ 11,852M /dev/sdb5 (Logical)
swap 2,048M /dev/sdb6 (Logical)
/var 1,019M /dev/sdb7 (Logical)

And the 40GB drive was partitioned this way:
/boot 98M /dev/sdb1 (Primary)
/ 35,821M /dev/sdb5 (Logical)
swap 2,048M /dev/sdb6 (Logical)
/var 2,048M /dev/sdb7 (Logical)

In both cases, the drive is identified by the live cd as /dev/sdb -- /dev/sda is a large SATA drive I use for storing MythTV recordings. Both the 15GB and the 40GB drives are spare IDE drives I have available for putting the O/S and mysql repository on.

Any guidance gratefully accepted.

Craig.