PDA

View Full Version : Root User

Geffers
February 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I've been away from Linux for about two years (Major rebuild at home) having previously used and liked Mandrake.

Owing to reputation and recommendation I thought I'd give Ubuntu a try, being a wee bit familiar with KDE I went for Kubuntu, so far so good though I can't get my Linksys WUSB11 V2.6 WiFi to work.

What is puzzling me is why the move away from an ADMIN or ROOT account, this initially gave me a few problems until I was advised the first user has root access.

Also, what does SUDO stand for?

Geffers aka Geoff Lane

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I think SUDO stands for "superuser: do" or something similar.

Derek Djons
February 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I'm a fan of using the SUDO above logging in ROOT. I remember back in the days switching to ROOT when major preferences had to be changed I always ended up spending hours logged in as ROOT, even browsing the internet and chatting online in order to solve problems.

In my opinion using SUDO is easier than any previous method.

Geffers
February 7th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for replies, I'm getting the hang.

Wish I could get my WiFi working though.

Geffers

imagine
February 7th, 2006, 11:15 PM
As you noticed there is no root account in Ubuntu, it is disabled. However members of the admin group may gain admin privileges through sudo. The user which is created during install is automatically added to the admin group.

Reasons why the sudo approach may be superior to a root account: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo