PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite features.

murderslastcrow
September 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
K, so I hope this fits in the Community Cafe section, since it seemed the most appropriate for this subject. Just want to know what one of your favorite features in Ubuntu (or Linux in general) is, along with some way you can think of improving that feature or function.

K, one of my favorite features is lspci, and I think a cool way to improve on that would be to have a GUI frontend that can catalog the information and give you a diagram of what's in your computer based on what motherboard and other parts you're using (sounds farfetched, but it would be a step-up from what other systems offer).

Just imagine, you mouse over a component, like your integrated videocard, and you can see it glow in green on the diagram as you do so. :3 Would be so cool.

Okay, your turn!

chessnerd
September 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Add/Remove Programs. That feature is like a diamond mine inside a cave of pure gold. I wanted a program to record my desktop. I typed in "record" and one of the things that came up was a program called recordMyDesktop. Works like a charm. I wanted a Linux version of MSN messenger and it pointed me to emesene. Does exactly what I needed it to do. I wanted to try out a different web browser. It found Epiphany. I don't use it much, but it was fun to test it out.

I would probably say that it would be useful if, when a dependency issue came up, it would open Synaptic so you could resolve it. I've had to bounce back and forward between the two too many times because you can't have two package managers open at once.

The Real Dave
September 7th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Workspaces. I have six :D Their so useful, keeps everything organised. I dont clutter up my screen with windows. My efficiency with them is great :) Go back into Windows and I'm like, OMG, what am I gonna do with all these windows? :lolflag:

Also, Conky is great, lets me see everything that going on, keep an eye on temps, network and programs :D Bliss

ericmc783
September 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Gnome, the main menu of apps/places/system, and that you can customize this.

ubuntu 9.04, notifications from Pidgin and banshee appear automatically in the main panel at the top right of the screen.

Synaptic, and add/remove programs.

Viva
September 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Yep, the menu in ubuntu is awesome.

My list:
Workspaces
compiz
Repository system/package managers
Terminal

coldReactive
September 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Workspaces, compiz, Pidgin, Totem, Wine, xarchiver, terminal, blah, blah, blah.

Greg
September 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I love how I can manage my entire computer without touching a mouse. I did an install on a laptop yesterday- I realized the mouse wasn't working about 20 minutes into playing around with X :D

I also think it's great when little things hit me- like on my early OpenSuse install, when I opened a document with evince after I had restarted, and it went to the same exact place.

hellmet
September 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
The fact that I can install ubuntu on my thinkpad and start using it right away.

stuart.reinke
September 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Live CD. Great for partitioning, system recovery, or makes the computer usable without a hard drive.

murderslastcrow
September 8th, 2009, 07:14 AM
So many good things. Yey.

But yeah, the point of the post was to include one way you could improve on that feature along with it. XD About two of you have done so, so that's good.

:3 I was just thinking that, if Ubuntu is already so productive and easy to use, what would make those features even more useful and integrated? I think it's good that the users themselves think of this stuff, and don't just leave it to the developers of Gnome/Xfce/KDE to decide.

I like how Ubuntu caters to us beyond the main Linux community, too. It's pretty awesome.

misfitpierce
September 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
The whole ubuntu OS... ha!