PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .gz installation

saneej
September 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM
How 2 install a .gz package??? say i hv "rarlinux-x64-3.9.0.tar.gz" Hw 2 instl?

saneej
September 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM
i hv downloaded win RAR following file i hv downloaded "rarlinux-x64-3.9.0.tar.gz" Hw 2 instl? Pls help me

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
You don't need WinRar. Just go to Applications - Add/Remove, search for RAR and install it. Then you can use the build in archive manager (File Roller, which is also integrated with the file browser) to rar and unrar files.

Cheezespread
September 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hi Saneej,

The rar archiver is already available in one of the repostiroies already. If you have enabled Universe and Multiverse repos , you could install the same using the command :

sudo aptitude install rar

Or do you specifically want to using the run the *.tar.gz file?

kailkitsune
September 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
if im not mistaken winrar is a windows program, you can try and run it under wine.

*edit*
ignore me i wasnt thinking

saneej
September 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM
My problem is not only with rar. installing from .tar.gz file. I'm new 2 ubuntu(Even any other linux I'm not familier). So, I need 2 know to install from this kind of file. Pls help me.

wojox
September 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
To decompress a .tar.gz file open a terminal proceed to the directory its in:

tar -zxvf NameOfFile.tar.gz

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
It is extremely rare that you will need to install anything from a tar.gz file. Please read this page on installing software on Ubuntu: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

tar.gz files are compressed archives, like a .zip file is in Windows. You can right click on them in the file browser and select extract. If there is a program to be installed inside, there is often a README or INSTALL file.

zvacet
September 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Uncompress package by right click on it.If that create folder look inside for install file or read me file.

Cheezespread
September 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
My problem not only with winrar installing .tar.gz file. I'm new 2 ubuntu(Even any other linux I'm not familier). So, I need 2 know to install from this kind of file. Pls help me.

Just to give you an idea of what the file is :
1*.gz refers to files zipped by Gzip compression algorithm.
2.*.tar refers to a archived directory ( folder).
Usually tar is used just to archive it since the gzip won't be able to act on multiple files.So we make a tarball of the whole content and archive it , so that we can zip it ( compress it ).

Open the terminal and use this command in the terminal :

tar zvxf rarlinux-x64-3.9.0.tar.gz
This should unzip the .gz file.

saneej
September 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanx guys. Thanx a lot. I really feel free in this platform. Lot of support I'm having. Kindly environment. "Humanity for all !!!" is true in ubuntu.thanx.

bapoumba
September 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Threads merged.