PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Windows key" doesn't do anything - how to map it?

torbengb
September 7th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hi all!
I'm very used to the Windows way of
Win+E = Windows Explorer (Nautilus),
Win+D = Desktop (minimize all windows),
Win = show Start menu (open the Ubuntu menu?),
etc.

--> How can I make the key do similar actions (see parentheses) in Ubuntu?

In the keyboard configuration, there's a window that mentions super, meta, and such, but these terms have no meaning for me. My keyboard has a Win key on either side plus a key for context menu on the right-hand side, and it would be great to be able to use these keys in Ubuntu too!

ATL™
September 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The Windows key is generally the "super" key. To map them, take a look at http://strabes.wordpress.com/2006/11/13/create-custom-keyboard-shortcuts-in-ubuntu/

You could also try xbindkeys.

Paqman
September 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Go to System > Prefs > Keyboard shortcuts and set it up how you like.

theozzlives
September 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Thank you ATL, I was going to point out the "super key" thing.

TORBENGB, If you're gonna like using Linux, you got to get out of the Windows state of mind. They may "look" kinda similar but they are very different. Some say, "I don't know Linux", but did they "know" Windows at first? Just some friendly advise.

P.S. It's not a Task Bar, it Panels. It's not the DOS prompt, it's Terminal (or console if you don't have a GUI). I catch myself calling it the "command prompt" at times, it's not that either.

torbengb
September 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM
If you're gonna like using Linux, you got to get out of the Windows state of mind.
That's good advice. Having used Windows since Version 3.0 oh-so-many years ago, certain things are deep habits by now. I'm aware that there are many big differences, and I don't mind that at all.

For this topic, I want to know what I can use the Win key for in Linux. It would be nice to map it to certain functions, like Win+T for _terminal_ etc. The Ubuntu GUI doesn't give many hints about shortcut keys, so I'm still learning.

Penguin Guy
September 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts and System -> Preferences -> Compiz Config Settings Manager give you as much control as you'll ever need over shortcuts.