PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] display problem

levian
September 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
i installed ubuntu 9.04 days ago, with success installation of skype, scim, a network printer, n updated all the items in "update manager". however, the screen is somehow, always distorted after a while the laptop is turned on. i tried changing the appearance n fonts rendering but failed to reduce the "defects". attached is the screenshot, it gets more serious if more are performed during one session. what should i do to fix this? thanks!

levian
September 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM
attaching more screenshots.

levian
September 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM
anyone else face this problem before?

overdrank
September 8th, 2009, 02:20 AM
anyone else face this problem before?

Hi and welcome, are you by chance using intel graphics on Jaunty? I have seen this issue on my son's laptop with Jaunty. If so you may look at the link in my signature about intel graphics in Jaunty.

levian
September 8th, 2009, 02:48 AM
overdrank, thanks!

the laptop is a Pentium III, is it safe to assume that it is using Intel graphics? i looked at the link in your signature. do i have to follow all the instructions under Part A-D? sorry, i have very little linux knowledge.

overdrank
September 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM
overdrank, thanks!

the laptop is a Pentium III, is it safe to assume that it is using Intel graphics? i looked at the link in your signature. do i have to follow all the instructions under Part A-D? sorry, i have very little linux knowledge.

Hi and you can use the command in the terminal
lspci | grep VGA and this will identify your hardware. The terminal is located under applications, accessories. I choose the Safe Configuration for my son's system. :)

levian
September 8th, 2009, 03:29 AM
it returned:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)

did you son's system tend to have words disappearing every now n then? i have to drag the window all around just to see the words, even in terminal.

levian
September 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM
i tried Safe Configuration, but received an error message after line 2:

$ sudo apt-get update
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: httpL//ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7D2C7A23 BF810CD5
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

what does it mean?

overdrank
September 8th, 2009, 04:01 AM
i tried Safe Configuration, but received an error message after line 2:

$ sudo apt-get update
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: httpL//ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7D2C7A23 BF810CD5
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

what does it mean?
Hi and you will have to add the keys as the instruction direct.
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com AF1CDFA9

levian
September 8th, 2009, 04:11 AM
i did. here is the ouput:

user@user-laptop:~$ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com AF1CDFA9
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com AF1CDFA9
gpg: requesting key AF1CDFA9 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key AF1CDFA9: "Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu-X" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

levian
September 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM
i tried to change the fonts i used under System>Preferences>Appearance but it didn't work. i copied some .ttf from windows fonts into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/, again changed the fonts under Appearance, it didn't work too. any other ways can i try?

levian
September 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM
reinstalling ubuntu 9.04 doesn't work either. the same problem appears in fresh installation. i don't understand what is the cause.

levian
September 29th, 2009, 02:05 AM
i tried some more of the ubuntu based os - 9.04, 8.04, mint, fedora, etc. n still ended up with the same graphic problem like what i faced in my current 9.04. are there any other os that i should be trying?

the bug was found on launchpad as well: here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/293059).

overdrank
September 29th, 2009, 02:28 AM
i tried some more of the ubuntu based os - 9.04, 8.04, mint, fedora, etc. n still ended up with the same graphic problem like what i faced in my current 9.04. are there any other os that i should be trying?

the bug was found on launchpad as well: here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/293059).

Hi and 8.04 Hardy should work well with the intel graphics or at least it has for me. Have you checked the bios on the system to see how much memory is shared with the intel graphics.

levian
September 29th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Hi and 8.04 Hardy should work well with the intel graphics or at least it has for me. Have you checked the bios on the system to see how much memory is shared with the intel graphics.

how do i check the memory shared? i tried 8.04 n it lagged very bad.

overdrank
September 29th, 2009, 03:32 AM
how do i check the memory shared? i tried 8.04 n it lagged very bad.

Depending on the system, some use the F2 keys when booting to enter bios. It is sometimes displayed when the system is booting at the bottom of the screen. When in the bios you should be able to find and adjust the amount of memory shared with the graphics. What is the model of the system.

levian
September 29th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Depending on the system, some use the F2 keys when booting to enter bios. It is sometimes displayed when the system is booting at the bottom of the screen. When in the bios you should be able to find and adjust the amount of memory shared with the graphics. What is the model of the system.

it is an asus s1300. i should get into the bios n adjust the memory shared? is there a ratio or something that i should refer to? i am not quite following why.

overdrank
September 29th, 2009, 11:41 PM
it is an asus s1300. i should get into the bios n adjust the memory shared? is there a ratio or something that i should refer to? i am not quite following why.

Hi and yes there are some systems that will allow you to adjust the memory amount shared with the integrated graphics. Some system do this automatically when more memory is installed. How much memory is in the system now?

levian
September 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Hi and yes there are some systems that will allow you to adjust the memory amount shared with the integrated graphics. Some system do this automatically when more memory is installed. How much memory is in the system now?

it has 256mb RAM, so it is around 240+mb left.