PDA

View Full Version : Game box or ubuntu box?

Sethun
September 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM
So I'm considering building a semi-decent box for ubuntu and I'm also wanting to make a computer, running windows (blah) to run games for recreational fun. but if you could have one over the other without dual booting, which one would you get?

Whiffle
September 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Linux box.

But then again I dual boot, and do all my gaming in windows... What do you have against dual booting?

Sethun
September 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Linux box.

But then again I dual boot, and do all my gaming in windows... What do you have against dual booting?
I don't have anything against dual booting, I have lots against windows.

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I happen to like many of Ubuntu's games.

Plus I'd never pay for games, hehe, I emulate Nintendo 64 alot, though...I can't discuss that I don't think, against forum rules (long thread on legality last week), so I'll stop at saying that it can be done.

Sethun
September 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I happen to like many of Ubuntu's games.

Plus I'd never pay for games, hehe, I emulate Nintendo 64 alot, though...I can't discuss that I don't think, against forum rules (long thread on legality last week), so I'll stop at saying that it can be done.
Haha, well I don't actually play too many games but I'm sure if I had a dedicated box I'd get around to it. Heck I might as well get a console now that I think about it.

TenPlus1
September 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Ubuntu box for sure, you can always have your games installed using WINE... and linux has many native games (and flash games online)...

Whiffle
September 7th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I don't have anything against dual booting, I have lots against windows.

Then why spend more money to build an entirely different box to use it? I don't follow your logic.

To me, OS's are tools, and I pick the best one for the job. For gaming, thats windows. Since dual booting is easy and a much cheaper alternative to having a second computer, I do that..

Sethun
September 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Then why spend more money to build an entirely different box to use it? I don't follow your logic.

To me, OS's are tools, and I pick the best one for the job. For gaming, thats windows. Since dual booting is easy and a much cheaper alternative to having a second computer, I do that..
I'm not really using logic on this one. But this is fantasy land atm so I'll dream a ridiculous situation up just for the sake of it.

Sethun
September 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Ubuntu box for sure, you can always have your games installed using WINE... and linux has many native games (and flash games online)...
Yeah, that's true. I dunno though I might dual boot with two separate HDD's

Whiffle
September 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I'm not really using logic on this one. But this is fantasy land atm so I'll dream a ridiculous situation up just for the sake of it.

I do that all the time!! Its called college! :D

Especially physics class..."First we assume an ideal rope, with an ideal mass, and an ideal bearing, and no air resistance..."

Sethun
September 7th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I do that all the time!! Its called college! :D

Especially physics class..."First we assume an ideal rope, with an ideal mass, and an ideal bearing, and no air resistance..."

I find it a good topic starter at the least and I can still compare benefits between the situations.

zolookas
September 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Simple: get a cheapier Ubuntu box and spend other money on xbox 360/ps3/wii.