PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about installing Ubuntu (first time Linux user)

Accelerate-
September 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hello Ubuntu world,

I want to make the transition to the Linux realm (like REALLY REALLY WANT to)but i'm unsure of myself to actually get up and install Ubuntu on my, suffice to say, aging pc. I received a hand me down (my sisters old inspiron 700m laptop) and my mom is going to use my old desktop.

So basically i just have 2 questions.

Is there a already made tutorial for complete beginners on installing Ubuntu, because i hear that you have to use special programs to burn the ISO image or something?

And because my old desktop is a ancient one (its specs are as followed)

Pentium III @ 750mhz
512mb ddr 233 RAM
18.6gb 5400 rpm hd (IDE)
Radeon 7500 gpu

Would installing Jaunty Jackolope (ubuntu 9.04) be a good idea rather than installing older versions?

Mainly my mom will be using this desktop just to check emails and watch news videos on say cnn.com and nothing else. I will be taking care of the technical stuff if problems arise (so be sure to see more questions from me :))

Normally i would ask my uncle about this, since he was on the developing team for networking and security when Ubuntu first came out, but he's on a business trip right now and i can't reach him, but he did tell me to go to this place if i had any questions/needed help.

Thanks in advanced!
~ Accelerate-

Ms_Angel_D
September 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hi and welcome to Ubuntu :D

Tutorial: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

Have a look at this page there is a link to the system requirements
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/installation-guide/i386/index.html

also you may want to look at this you can download the PDF version free.
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com

Accelerate-
September 7th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Oh wow, that was fast. I guess what your links said were right, "offers extremely fast replies" hahaha :D

I took a look at your links and the first one i didn't find all that helpful sorry to say, but the second and third were highly in-depth and extremely user friendly and answered all of my questions. Thanks!

I think i'll be using Ubuntu 8.04 under the XFCE thing. It seems to offer a great balance of performance and eye candy. Plus that PDF manual is built just for it!

bear24rw
September 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I think i'll be using Ubuntu 8.04 under the XFCE thing. It seems to offer a great balance of performance and eye candy. Plus that PDF manual is built just for it!

If you want XFCE download Xubuntu

lindsay7
September 7th, 2009, 05:43 AM
With the coputer that you have you may want to look at something like "Slitaz" which is Linux distribution like Ubuntu. It will work on limited resources and should do all that you want to do.

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I would say use 9.04 instead of 8.04. With newer releases the gain in speed and stability usually outweighs any increase in resources with new features. Often there's a decrease in CPU/RAM usage with newer versions.

Accelerate-
September 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM
If you want XFCE download Xubuntu

Is Xubuntu like Ubuntu except more lightweight and runs on XFCE rather than gnome or kde?

I mean like, is it just as user friendly and stuff?

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Is Xubuntu like Ubuntu except more lightweight and runs on XFCE rather than gnome or kde?

I mean like, is it just as user friendly and stuff?

Yes and sort of. Xubuntu is Ubuntu but running XFCE instead of Gnome. As for whether it is as user friendly, that's hard to say because a lot of the user friendlyness depends on the desktop environment used in my opinion.

Accelerate-
September 7th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Well, preferably my mother (who will be the primary user) would love the computer to be moderatly faster than windows XP, but still retaining a lot of the user friendliness My mother doesn't know anything (not to be mean, sorry mom :D) about computer, except for using the internet and checking her email account either through the service or outlook. I'm hoping mozilla's thunderbird is somewhat like outlook so she won't have fuss with the hassle of going through the email provider.

I mean, as long she has the desktop icons she'll be fine. I'll install the flash codecs before she begins to use it so she can watch the videos and stuff.