PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu after 5 years.

BslBryan
September 7th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Somehow, I managed to find a thread on the forums that existed way back to when even Ubuntu-Geek was a noob. :P Here's a quote that's caught my attention:

Fedora is what Windows users use when they want to use Linux. It's gui tools leave no room for real interaction and never force the user to do much outside of X.

Since these users never get under the hood of Linux and realize why it is such a powerful and extensible operating system, they never see Linux as much more than a decent desktop alternative. Fedora users are Windows users who are trying Linux. They never get past that step.

Ubuntu doesn't have a tool for configuring every last setting. Just most of the common ones. Eventually when running Ubuntu you will be forced to edit a config file, or compile something from source. You will be forced out of X to do something. You will get a glimpse at least of whats under this shiny Gnome desktop. You may even come to find out why you should want to run Linux, instead of wanting to run Linux just because you are less likely to get a virus or get stick with some spyware.

To me, it seems that, if zenwhen's opinion is considered trustworthy, from then-current Fedora Core 3 to the current Fedora 11, and from Hoary Hedgehog to Jaunty Jackalope, this role has been somewhat reversed.

What do you all think?

#11u-max
September 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM
i don't exactly know, but ubuntu 64 bit will make you get under the hood just a little. i guess if you want the big ol' motor, ya better know how to fix it when something goes wrong!

TBOL3
September 8th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Back then, yes, it was like that.

Now... yes I think the roles have been reversed.

Although, I still get under the ubuntu hood.