PDA

View Full Version : Just a humble Work In Progress

DBO
September 7th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Clicky Clicky (http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/269345/DockyDevShot.png)

DBO

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Well that's interesting indeed. Support for themes and multiple docks would be awesome.

Edit: I forgot to ask, how much is actually functional?

ninjapirate89
September 7th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Looks good so far. Is this available for others to test? :D

falconindy
September 7th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Clicky Clicky (http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/269345/DockyDevShot.png)

DBO

No offense, but forget the dock. I want your theme. And your background. Oh yes, the background...

DBO
September 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM
@falconindy
Shiki colors, background just google around for mario wallpaper. The resolution is 1440x900 if that helps. Otherwise, no offense taken. I don't pretend to think people should be forced to like my software.

@ninjapirate
Yes, but its worthless for actual usage right now. I am still hooking up events and everything on it. Half the wiring is still loose.

@ad_267
Multiple theme support rocks indeed. I have one of the best themers in all of Linux Land making the look for this. Some of his other work is going to be featured in the next Ubuntu release if all goes well.

As for functionality. If you want to think of this like building a phone system. The wires that go from New York to LA are all in place, I just haven't laid that last mile that makes it actually useful.

#11u-max
September 7th, 2009, 04:39 AM
looks sweet! it'd be nice to be able to have a dock on the sides, just don't know how compiz would react, [flip cube with mouse pointer!]

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Does this dock require compositing?

Can it autohide (or, better, intellihide like docky can)?

An idea pluginwise...include an ubuntu menu plugin! Would be amazing to be able to not have a panel if you don't want one.

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM
An idea pluginwise...include an ubuntu menu plugin! Would be amazing to be able to not have a panel if you don't want one.

In my opinion, one thing lacking from a lot of docks is a good menu. The whole point of Gnome-do though is to access your applications by typing, rather than clicking on a menu. With Docky I guess you've got launchers in the dock that you click on, so why not a whole menu? I know I would probably use the menu as well as the gnome-do functionality, so yeah that's probably a good idea. It would be interesting to hear what the developers think about this. :)

DBO
September 7th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Does this dock require compositing?

Can it autohide (or, better, intellihide like docky can)?

Of course it can autohide, and of course it can intellihide! I wrote Docky :P

This is Docky 2.0

ninjapirate89
September 7th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I wrote Docky :P

Thank you! :P

Edit -> A lot :D

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Of course it can autohide, and of course it can intellihide! I wrote Docky :P

This is Docky 2.0

That's awesome. What I like most about Docky is that it integrates so well with gnome, acting as much as a application switcher as a dock. I've used it ever since I heard it. I use it alot with xcompmgr, though, whih doesn't seem to work as well.

There are only a few things I wish Docky had, and the list is very short.

1. The ability to work without compositing.

2, A real menu, so my mouse can feel as loved as my keyboard.

3. Better support for multiple open instances of the same application. It would be neat if when two were open, the logo became smaller and stacked, maybe, one on top, one on bottom. Its just an idea, not sure how well it would work. Just an idea I had a few weeks back.

4. Some way for me to bind it to the windows key alone, a key which serves me no purpose...would be great if it summoned docky.

My input is meant to be purely constructive. I love docky and use it daily. I've commented to my friends that Docky should be default in Ubuntu with only a top panel. They pointed out that such an operating system wouldn't function without compositing, a point I gave them. I would be nice, though. Docky improves gnome by loads.

Though, from what I hear, gnome 3 might be so different a dock would be out of place. If that happens would you ever change which DE you worked on it for?

DBO
September 7th, 2009, 07:50 AM
That's awesome. What I like most about Docky is that it integrates so well with gnome, acting as much as a application switcher as a dock. I've used it ever since I heard it. I use it alot with xcompmgr, though, whih doesn't seem to work as well.

There are only a few things I wish Docky had, and the list is very short.

1. The ability to work without compositing.

2, A real menu, so my mouse can feel as loved as my keyboard.

3. Better support for multiple open instances of the same application. It would be neat if when two were open, the logo became smaller and stacked, maybe, one on top, one on bottom. Its just an idea, not sure how well it would work. Just an idea I had a few weeks back.

4. Some way for me to bind it to the windows key alone, a key which serves me no purpose...would be great if it summoned docky.

My input is meant to be purely constructive. I love docky and use it daily. I've commented to my friends that Docky should be default in Ubuntu with only a top panel. They pointed out that such an operating system wouldn't function without compositing, a point I gave them. I would be nice, though. Docky improves gnome by loads.

Though, from what I hear, gnome 3 might be so different a dock would be out of place. If that happens would you ever change which DE you worked on it for?

1) will happen but no zoom possible in this case

2) will happen with new plugin/menuing abilities in Docky 2.0

3) Something I will have to work with our artist on. However you may wish to try enabling the "advanced indicators" option. It is for this purpose.

4) Summoning is going away from docky for a bit. The reasoning for this is hard to explain at first, however I can promise that there are very very good reasons for it (and you will support them when its released with the new model)

DE Change) I will make it work with GNOME 3.0. However if GNOME 3.0 continues to scare me, I will be switching to XFCE myself, which means Docky goes with me :)

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM
From what I've heard, Gnome 3 might depend more on compositing, using a lot of clutter stuff, so perhaps Docky will fit in better?

It's good to hear that there will be support for running docky without compositing though, I still get annoyed with Compiz/Metacity compositing and am constantly enabling it and disabling it. :)

-grubby
September 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
@falconindy
Shiki colors, background just google around for mario wallpaper. The resolution is 1440x900 if that helps. Otherwise, no offense taken. I don't pretend to think people should be forced to like my software.

I haven't had much luck. Can you upload it?

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
It's number 5 here: http://www.peopix.com/2008/11/13/20-pretty-mario-wallpapers/

Edit: Sorry, no it's not, they're slightly different. Here it is: http://www.zastavki.com/pictures/1280x800/2009/Drawn_wallpapers_Mario_World_013582_.jpg