PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL + SDL

j7%<RmUg
September 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Hey,

Iv become interested in openGL and SDL lately and im wondering does anyone know of any alternatives that are easier to learn/better to use than SDL.

I have heard of GLUT but do not know much about it. Also if anyone knows of some good (long) tutorials that would be great, i honestly cant find any that really give me the information i need to progress past rendering a rotating multicolored cube.

All help is appreciated.

socool274
September 7th, 2009, 03:29 AM
GLUT is the API I use typically. If you want, I can teach you GLUT. GLUT is easy, although, I would use SDL, if you want speed. GLUT is notorious for slowness.

j7%<RmUg
September 7th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Hmmm interesting, i assume that GLUT performs much the same function as SDL?

I am mostly learning this to get into game programming on ubuntu.(no i dont want to create a huge MMORPG just maybe a nice RPG eventually)

Im not on my ubuntu machine right now, but i will be home in a few hours.

socool274
September 7th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hey, I love game programming, I'm your person! If you want, I could help you make something. I have experience with many different languages, and many different API's. I can really help you with game programming, I would be happy to give knowledge to others!

j7%<RmUg
September 7th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Ok sounds awesome, ill just PM you.

socool274
September 7th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Ok, cool, I am always happy to pass on knowledge.

slavik
September 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
search for AI-Escape.

the short and sweet:
glut - just enough api to get a window open with opengl context. basic keyboard/mouse interaction
sdl - sound, timers, image libraries, everything opengl needs to turn this combo into an open source version of what can rival DirectX.

socool274
September 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM
That's not all glut can do, but yes, it is a limited API. It cannot do much other than get a window open, and handle simple events.