PDA

View Full Version : Is "ubuntu" too afro-centric?

ChrT
September 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I was talking to my friends about ubuntu, and showed them the website and a few screenshots. I wasn't aware of this controversy before, but it appears that most consider the ubuntu naming and colour scheme to be too afrocentrist, or even racist, because the official posters and advertisement mostly includes black people, with other races in "supporting roles".

Is anyone else concerned by this? Is "Linux for human beings" a code-word for "Linux for africans"?

Don't get me wrong, I like ubuntu and I think it's a great distro, but this cultural afrocentrism is pretty obvious, I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been brought up earlier.

gymophett
September 6th, 2009, 11:40 PM
It is not racist in any way. Period.
Everything anyone does now is somehow considered racist.
"I want the white crayon"!
"Why not the black crayon? Are you racist"?!
:neutral:

gn2
September 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been brought up earlier.

I'm astonished you've raised it at all, I doubt I've ever read such a load of tosh.

TheNosh
September 6th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Is anyone else concerned by this? Is "Linux for human beings" a code-word for "Linux for africans"?

no. if anything it's meant as code for "linux so easy your grandma could do it" though that's not quite true either.

there definitely isn't any racist element to it, ubuntu is just a word with no direct english translation so of course when confronted with the choice to go with "ubuntu" or "[insert paragraph explanation of the concept here]" they just went with "ubuntu".

Barrucadu
September 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
You are completely right! I can see how it went down in Canonical HQ in my mind's eye:

Shuttleworth: "I have an evil plan. Let's create a racist Linux distro!"
Henchman #1: "Why boss?"
Shuttleworth: "Do not question me, minion! It is to spread our values to lesser, more susceptible, minds, to aid us in our quest for world domination!"
Henchman #2: "Great plan boss."

Whatever happened to the days when you could have whoever you wanted in your advertisements and media without fear of being called racist/sexist/ageist/whateverist for not having enough people of x, y, or z races, religions, age groups, or gender(s).

chris200x9
September 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM
It is not racist in any way. Period.
Everything anyone does now is somehow considered racist.
"I want the white crayon"!
"Why not the black crayon? Are you racist"?!
:neutral:

...white crayons are USELESS...just saying....

(I'm 100% literal if you take it as being racist YOU are racists!)

gymophett
September 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Whatever happened to the days when you could have whoever you wanted in your advertisements and media without fear of being called racist/sexist/ageist/whateverist for not having enough people of x, y, or z races, religions, age groups, or gender(s).

I didn't know there ever was one. O_O

pwnst*r
September 7th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I'm astonished you've raised it at all, I doubt I've ever read such a load of tosh.

i could see if he thought of it himself why you'd say that, but he was with a group of friends and it wound up being a discussion. why not bring it here? nobody should be afraid to post their thoughts unless of course it breaks forum rules, which this does not.

gymophett
September 7th, 2009, 12:08 AM
How about this everyone?
Why don't we lock this thread?
All this will start is fights.

Bodsda
September 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM

Hmm, well... was there ever a time when there were no racist comments? No. Racism crops up everywhere and tbh, its not appropriate for these forums, but as it is regarding ubuntu I guess I will just say that, if there is 3 people in a picture and your showing black and white people then there is always gonna be a "but theres more of them" issue, because 3 does not divide equally by 2.

gn2
September 7th, 2009, 12:13 AM
~ he was with a group of friends ~

You're a very trusting soul.
The cynic that I am thinks the friends are imaginary and brought in to lend cred to an utterly absurd set of suggestions.

aesis05401
September 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Since when does Africa=black? How does afro centric = black? I have family that emigrated to Africa 100+ years ago from Ireland. They are official Africans at this point, no ;)

hanzomon4
September 7th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I've officially heard it all

purgatori
September 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm more concerned with the blatant chameleon-centrism of SuSE Linux!

overdrank
September 7th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Closed for review.

bapoumba
September 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM
The thread will remain closed. From the very beginning, Ubuntu has been headed towards intergration, regardless of cultural background and location. So are the ubuntuforums.