PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz Broke after upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty

JustGage
September 6th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Okay, so upgraded from Hardy to the latest version (Jaunty) which solved a ton of problems BUT, it seemed to break Compiz,

whenever I would try to enable any effects it would say, "searching for drivers 0%" then fail.

So I did the Compiz check and got this (sort of):

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [ OK ]
Checking for non power of two support... [ OK ]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [ OK ]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [ OK ]
this is actualy what it says now,
but before, the line, " Checking for hardware/setup problems... " said that my graphics card had been backlisted, so I said yes to unbacklisting it because I figured, hey it worked before it's probably just a false alarm.

NOW, when I try to enable compiz in any way, everything on my desktop disappears (windows, top and botom bar) and doesn't come back,

except for my mouse which I can move and my background,

but keyboard doesn't respond to anything even CTRL+ALT f1-f12, so I'm forced to just pull the plug.

I've looked around a lot and haven't found an answer, I think it might be related to my chip being Intel, but I honestly don't know how to fix this problem.

Also I looked on my System>Administration>Hardware Drivers and it doesn't list anything, I was wondering if that was normal.

is there any way I could move to the old version (of compiz or the driver or whatever), because that worked.

QIII
September 7th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Before you attempt to go back to an older version, take a look here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904

Look for the section

Performance regressions on Intel graphics cards

JustGage
September 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
thanks for the reply I tried to revert it, I honestly can't tell a difference, I'm not sure if it actually changed or not. I would like to point out that it worked in Hardy, I never tried Intrepid, is there a way to go back to Hardy?

Oh yeah, if it makes any difference, I can't enable 3D chess. just the flat kind.