PDA

View Full Version : look for a general purpose irc channel

heyyy
September 6th, 2009, 10:53 PM
just something to chat with random people about anything and nothing in particular...and has more than 20 users usually

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
just something to chat with random people about anything and nothing in particular...and has more than 20 users usually

the ubuntu channel you can talk about anything. not just for help.

Mateo
September 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM
you might try #1990 or #blastfromthepast because IRC is not used for general chat any more (by normal people).

Hosmion
September 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Just to talk to people, sometimes for help for certain things, like UBuntU :D

ChrT
September 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM
you might try #1990 or #blastfromthepast because IRC is not used for general chat any more (by normal people).

Wrong, irc is still used widely. Just because it's not web-2.0 buzzword compliant doesn't mean nobody uses it anymore.

Hosmion
September 6th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Wait, I read the title wrong.. Oops :D

And in response to the post above me, I would agree, what else is used though?

Tibuda
September 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
the ubuntu channel you can talk about anything. not just for help.

#ubuntu is the Ubuntu support channel, for all Ubuntu-related support questions. Please use #ubuntu-offtopic for other topics. Thanks!
:)

pwnst*r
September 7th, 2009, 04:12 AM

lol, i hope you're kidding.

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM
IRC is used more than linux is.

That said, Linux isn't very widely used. ;)

IRC, in general, is less used for social chat than it was back in the day. More for tech support and development projects and such. It is still used, though, but not nearly as much.

MikeTheC
September 7th, 2009, 05:42 AM
IRC was evidently designed in such a way that has allowed for certain kinds of technological exploits.

That being said, it's probably the least resource-intensive multi-platform chat system you're going to find, assuming you're not using some weird-a** client that uses lots of resources (which then basically defeats the purpose).

I like IRC myself, and have used it a number of times over the years.

However, just as with any public commons, you're also going to find miscreants there, so... beware...