PDA

View Full Version : Why do people post constructive criticism here in Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Why do people post constructive criticism here?

I doubt that any of the developers read this Forum. Unless the bug is reported in Launchpad it will probably not get any attention. Why would a developer read the hundreds of posts here to find the one post that contains something about the application they are working on?

I occasionally read the Testimonials & Experiences Forum because it is so amusing. Sometimes I almost fall out of my chair from laughing so hard.

I have been pleased with Ubuntu during the years I have used it. I may be unusual; however, when there is a regression with a new release, I just laugh, find a work-around, and keep using it until it is fixed. I check Lauchpad to see if it has been reported, and it has always been reported before I find the problem.

Comments welcome.

HappyFeet
September 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I guess it's just human nature to vent. Other people probably think that this is the place to report problems. When I use smething that does not work for me, (not just OS's) I quietly move along and use something that does work.

Then there are probably those people (windows users) that feel high and mighty that linux does not work for them, and must point out to us how inferior it is. All big fails if you ask me.

benj1
September 6th, 2009, 10:58 PM
its better than posting non constructive criticism.

id much rather have "i think xyz could be improved, heres my suggestions."
than all those posts saying
"goodbye im off, linux isn't ready for the desktop because {my obscure closed source windows program / ipod / peripheral driver thats easily fixed if they bothered to google} doesn't work"

i would hope someone would search these forums, theyre alot better sounding board for ideas plus you get feedback from a broader demographic of people, ubuntu is primarily aimed at non/less technical users who are less likely to venture over to launchpad, so you aren't getting their feedback

MarcusW
September 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Why do people post constructive criticism here?

I doubt that any of the developers read this Forum. Unless the bug is reported in Launchpad it will probably not get any attention. Why would a developer read the hundreds of posts here to find the one post that contains something about the application they are working on?

I occasionally read the Testimonials & Experiences Forum because it is so amusing. Sometimes I almost fall out of my chair from laughing so hard.

I have been pleased with Ubuntu during the years I have used it. I may be unusual; however, when there is a regression with a new release, I just laugh, find a work-around, and keep using it until it is fixed. I check Lauchpad to see if it has been reported, and it has always been reported before I find the problem.

Comments welcome.

You're first reaction when you find a regression is to laugh? :D

jrusso2
September 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
As much as they want you to believe the developers don't read the forum they do.

Some even post.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
You're first reaction when you find a regression is to laugh? :D

Yes, I've been using computers for something like 37 years. It just happens. :D

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 7th, 2009, 01:15 AM
As much as they want you to believe the developers don't read the forum they do.

Some even post.

Who is/are "they". Do you have examples of posts by developers? I really don't know why a developer would waist the time reading the Testimonials & Experiences Forum.:D

lswb
September 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I think a typical new user does not know even know what launchpad is or what the best way to file a bug report would be. OTOH, the forum is widely known and promoted as one of the best resources for ubuntu support. It is only natural that a user would make suggestions here. I remember the 1st time I registered and tried to use launchpad, and it is not something a new user would be likely to pursue.

lswb
September 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Yes, I've been using computers for something like 37 years. It just happens. :D

You must have had lots of laughs in your life! :)

Tamlynmac
September 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Old_Gray_Wolf
Who is/are "they". Do you have examples of posts by developers? I really don't know why a developer would waist the time reading the Testimonials & Experiences Forum.:grin:

I tend to agree with your opinion. The devs might logon once in a while, but I sincerely doubt they monitor this section of the forum on a regular basis. Much less, monitor it for problems or bugs.

However, I also tend to agree with HappyFeet regarding motivation. The T&E provides some with the opportunity to vent.

As with you, I'm often amused by many of the posts in this section. Especially, with regards to comparisons. Comparisons don't seem to require any supporting data or benchmarks in this section. Yet somehow these have weight and often result in argument. Amazing.. :)

IMHO, Canonical should be ecstatic every time someone compares it to Windows (good or bad). It reflects the advances that Canonical has made with Ubuntu.

longtom
September 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I do agree that posting here will probably not change Ubuntu for the better or make it different.
Launchpad is not as easily accessible to the average user as it does sound. A couple of hoops to jump through as well as an extremely slow build up of any launchpad site from were I am sitting. Since not everybody lives in the US (also that sometimes appears to be assumed in this forum), that can be a factor.
This forum however pops up most of the times easily and straight away (my compliments to the sys admin at this point).

The other point I'd like to make is that most bugs, as said before in this thread, have indeed been reported - many of those a loooooong time ago.
So it is a bit frustration which can be relieved. That is, after all, also part of this community. Share the good with the bad.

Not everything needs to have a good reason and sometimes we say something just to share and not to influence somebody, reach a target or solve a problem.

This is what the T&E section is for - after all. And if nothing else it is, at times, at least entertaining.

waspbr
September 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
devs do come to the forums every once in a while, mostly when they are bored

overdrank
September 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Moved to The Community Cafe, :)

sertse
September 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
The thing I'll be concerned about is the overall negativity of the Testomonials forum, because most people who would bother posting had a bad experience and need to rant. (People are less inclined write praise when it's good).

As such, you get this whole forum where every thread is saying how bad Ubuntu is, this forms a bad impression to an external viewer wondering whether to try it...

ugm6hr
September 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
The thing I'll be concerned about is the overall negativity of the Testomonials forum, because most people who would bother posting had a bad experience and need to rant. (People are less inclined write praise when it's good).

A well known truth in marketing. Every bad experience is reiterated 10 times, every good only once.

I think it is nice that people feel that they can just come and tell a story in the Testimonials section.

Doesn't have to have any point whatsoever; it is merely about opinions shared. How many times have you whinged about the management of your favourite sports club; I am certain no Premier League football manager is ever party to my discussions, but it doesn't stop me from being constructive.

People like to feel their opinions are valuable. As long as someone listens, it was worthwhile; doesn't have to change the world.

t0p
September 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
The only devs I can remember seeing posts from in these forums are the devs of Easycrypt (which I suspect is not maintained any more since Truecrypt has a perfectly fine gui of its own, Caffeine (not a major application) and Ubuntu Satanic Edition (not really an app, so I don't know if "dev" is the appropriate term). There have been a few others, but I can't remember which apps they represented.

So I'd say that some devs frequent these forums. But not many. If you want your comments to reach a dev's ears, send them an email, or post comments on their own sites. UF is really a user's forum.

Viva
September 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The only devs I can remember seeing posts from in these forums are the devs of Easycrypt (which I suspect is not maintained any more since Truecrypt has a perfectly fine gui of its own, Caffeine (not a major application) and Ubuntu Satanic Edition (not really an app, so I don't know if "dev" is the appropriate term). There have been a few others, but I can't remember which apps they represented.

So I'd say that some devs frequent these forums. But not many. If you want your comments to reach a dev's ears, send them an email, or post comments on their own sites. UF is really a user's forum.

Ubuntu CE devs frequent this forum, along with developers of smaller applets like Artha and gloobus(gloobus one is quite complicated though).

Mateo
September 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
People vent about bad experiences with Windows, do you question those posts as well?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
People vent about bad experiences with Windows, do you question those posts as well?

I do not question people "venting" in the Testimonials & Experiences forum. That is part of the reason it exists. What I question are those that provide "constructive criticism" expecting some developer to act on their criticism. If they are not expecting action from a developer then why are they posting "constructive criticism"? If they are venting about Windows on an Ubuntu Linux forum then I do not question those posts; however, if they are providing "constructive criticism" about what should be improved in Microsoft Windows then I do question those posts. It is not going to get anyone to solve the problem they have with Microsoft Windows.

Look at my sig. :)