PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox Corrupted

ericstrom
September 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Having trouble with Firefox hanging up on videos. I run Jaunty and Firefox 3.5. I've tried numerous things and nothing has worked. I'm now convinced Firefox is corrupted somehow. I want to wipe it clean and start with a completely new version. But I want to keep my bookmarks.

Could someone tell me an easy way to accomplish this (with minimal cryptic terms as I'm new to this)

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Penguin Guy
September 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Firstly; YouTube on Linux is not quite as good as YouTube on Windows. Secondly; I believe that if you just uninstall (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware) firefox and then reinstall it, it should keep your bookmarks - check with somebody else first.

frank002
September 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
You might want to back up your bookmark folder just in case. You might also want to go to Opera.com and download the Opera 10 version.

jordilin
September 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Backup your .mozilla/firefox directory, remove it, and start firefox again to make a clean firefox profile.

cariboo
September 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
An alternative way to create a new profile is to open a terminal and type:

firefox -Profilemanager

then copy your bookmarks.html file from the old profile to the new profile.

lovinglinux
September 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
An alternative way to create a new profile is to open a terminal and type:

firefox -Profilemanager

then copy your bookmarks.html file from the old profile to the new profile.

The bookmarks.html file does not contain the user bookmarks since Firefox 3.0. Bookmarks are now stored in the database places.sqlite and backups are stored as json files under bookmarkbackups folder. The bookmarks.html is a left-over, just kept for compatibility reasons.

Having trouble with Firefox hanging up on videos. I run Jaunty and Firefox 3.5. I've tried numerous things and nothing has worked. I'm now convinced Firefox is corrupted somehow. I want to wipe it clean and start with a completely new version. But I want to keep my bookmarks.

Could someone tell me an easy way to accomplish this (with minimal cryptic terms as I'm new to this)

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

I don't believe re-installing would help. Creating a new profile usually fix several issues, but in your case I'm not convinced it got corrupted, simply because no matter what I do I also have sub-par video experience, specially with flash and javascript players.

I suggest you read the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567). It contains all information you need to create new profiles, optimize firefox, fix most common issues and more.