PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video card troubles

maximusam2391
September 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I have been on these forums for a few days now trying to figure out how to get my video card properly installed on here. I have an ATI Radeon X300 card in an old Dell Desktop, and am trying to use two monitors. I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, so most of the things I find on here are above my understanding. Please help me with instructions that a PC user would understand.

halitech
September 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
what version of Ubuntu do you have installed? The X300 is not supported by the newer ATI catalyst drivers that you need for 9.04. I'm not sure if the open source drivers support dual screen on its own so you may need something else to do that.

maximusam2391
September 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I have Ubuntu 9.04. So there aren't any drivers available for my card?

halitech
September 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM
if you have above 800x600 then you have the open source drivers which are fine for single monitors, just not sure if they can do dual monitors.

Mark Phelps
September 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I have Ubuntu 9.04. So there aren't any drivers available for my card?

The open source drivers are installed by default. There are no restricted drivers anymore that work with your card and Ubuntu 9.04. ATI discontinued support for your card and lots of others.

GiantSpider
September 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Gah, I have an ATI video card also I can't get to work. Mines a HD 4890. I installed the drivers via System -> Adminstration -> Hardware Drivers and installed the driver there but now it gave me this annoying Unsupported hardware box. Let me know if you figure it out. Maybe I should install Ubuntu 8.10 but that might be a pain.