PDA

View Full Version : YA Distro poll

fela
September 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, ANOTHER distro poll for you guys!

I'm posting it as I'm a recent Debian convert - used to use Ubuntu. Oh yeah the rules are you HAVE to post what distro you're using, or you're barred from the thread! :P

You probably know by now that I'm running Debian Squeeze with the KDE 4.2 desktop environment.

wojox
September 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 / DE Pure GNOME 2.26.1

Ubuntu 9.04 Server

Arch on the laptop.

I just don't like those KDE Menus.

Bodsda
September 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I call it SwiftLinux (LFS + BLFS) on a USB stick

The Toxic Mite
September 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Windows XP :(

Bachstelze
September 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Ubuntu (Karmic) on my desktops/laptops, Debian (Sid) on one of my servers, OpenSuse (11.0) as a Xen dom0 on another.

Plus many non-Linux OSes.

Bölvağur
September 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 and Masonux (yeah I know those two are pretty much the same)

RiceMonster
September 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Arch on desktop, Fedora on Laptop.

.Maleficus.
September 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Arch on all machines (that are mine, Windows on parents). I also voted KDE and Other Window Manager, because I use KDE 4.3, Dwm and PekWM, depending on my mood.

khelben1979
September 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Debian.

kk0sse54
September 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Arch as backup to my non linux OSs

Greg
September 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I like Arch and have enjoyed some source based distros (I want to try setting up a Crux install on a laptop I just acquired)- control. I really don't like either RPMs of DEBs- I've grown to like more transparent systems. As far as WMs go, Xmonad for my primary, StumpWM for my secondary. I really don't use any floatings- I keep evil around for the hell of it, though, and have respect for the LXDE project (that's what I recommend to new users).

Tipped OuT
September 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Why is "GNOME / KDE / XFCE" listed?

Little Bit
September 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm using "Robin's Remix" - minimal Ubuntu+LXDE and codecs and selected favorite applications. I played around with "full" Ubuntu for awhile and it's great, but I just like the superfast, supersimple version I started with.

Amy

Dharmachakra
September 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Fedora is my main, Arch is my back up.

RiceMonster
September 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Fedora is my main, Arch is my back up.

excellent combination :)

Simian Man
September 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Fedora is my main distro of choice. And your poll options are extremely strange :).

misfitpierce
September 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Ubuntu takes lead on Ubuntu forums... What a surprise lol.

Perfect Storm
September 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
And your poll options are extremely strange :).

+1

On topic;
Kubuntu 9.04

SuperSonic4
September 6th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Ubuntu takes lead on Ubuntu forums... What a surprise lol.

+1

arch user here

running_rabbit07
September 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I use Ubuntu, I thought Fedora was great when I tested it, but it wasn't quite what I wanted. Debian is great, too.

gn2
September 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
The only Linux distribution I use these days is Ubuntu 8.04.

kevCast
September 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This thread has an incredible lack of slack.

Slackware64 for me.

fela
September 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Why is "GNOME / KDE / XFCE" listed?

Because some people prefer simpler window managers to full blown desktop environments.

Dharmachakra
September 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Because some people prefer simpler window managers to full blown desktop environments.

I think he's confused because the question is about distributions but you include window managers and environments in your options.

Stan_1936
September 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Ubantoo, FTW!

fela
September 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I think he's confused because the question is about distributions but you include window managers and environments in your options.

Distros, desktop environments, web browsers, whatever. It all counts towards one thing: how you use your computer.

PS. I see that you like Arch :)

fela
September 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Slackware64 for me.

Isn't that the oldest still-maintained distro? Although not much older than Debian.

speedwell68
September 6th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop and Xubuntu 9.04 on my Netbook.

ChrT
September 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I admit, after using Eeebuntu on my netbook, I've become a bit of a convert to ubuntu (previously an arch user). Currently I've got Karmic testing on my desktop, Debian stable on my router/homeserver, Eeebuntu on my netbook and Arch on my other laptop.

Voted Ubuntu and Debian.

binbash
September 6th, 2009, 11:52 PM
gentoo and pclinuxos are my favs

Dharmachakra
September 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Distros, desktop environments, web browsers, whatever. It all counts towards one thing: how you use your computer.

PS. I see that you like Arch :)

Hell yeah. Arch enthusiasts are in good company around here!

I use a whole slew of distros and I've never really been disappointed in one... I really like most distributions.

Sporkman
September 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I like OS's that are secure, powerful, and "just work". So I use Ubuntu on my home laptop, server, and work computer.

chriskin
September 7th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I like OS's that are secure, powerful, and "just work". So I use Ubuntu on my home laptop, server, and work computer.

ok don't tell to anyone that ubuntu just works everywhere cause they might give you the stare :P

back to topic
i use 9.04 on Gnome.

Whiffle
September 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM

Slackware64 for me.

That it does.

Just installed Slackware64 yesterday since I heard it was out, and now I remember why I like Slackware. Whichever version of kde4 they've got put together is working much better than any version I tried under ubuntu or arch, and that makes me happy. Oh, and its faaast.

zipperback
September 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
64bit Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 Alpha 5

TheNosh
September 7th, 2009, 01:10 AM
i fail to see the logic in lumping Arch with Gentoo and LFS i get that they are all very customizable, but Arch emphasizes excellent package management while the others by default have you installing all programmes from source.

fela
September 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
i fail to see the logic in lumping Arch with Gentoo and LFS i get that they are all very customizable, but Arch emphasizes excellent package management while the others by default have you installing all programmes from source.

When you post your poll you can have Arch all by itself :)

I listed Arch with Gentoo and LFS because they're all 'geeky' distros if you will.

Sporkman
September 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM

I listed Arch with Gentoo and LFS because they're all 'geeky' distros if you will.

Your categorization sucks!

kevCast
September 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM
That it does.

Just installed Slackware64 yesterday since I heard it was out, and now I remember why I like Slackware. Whichever version of kde4 they've got put together is working much better than any version I tried under ubuntu or arch, and that makes me happy. Oh, and its faaast.

I was surprised by that too. KDE4 in Slackware is a completely different beast than in Arch.

But yes, Slackware is amazing. And to the post earlier, I have found Slackware to be better than Debian, because Debian has put politics ahead of me, the end user. May be good for some, but not me.

Screwdriver0815
September 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Ubuntu 9.04

Kubuntu 9.04

subdivision
September 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Arch/openbox

y6FgBn)~v
September 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Crunchbang

(Voted Ubuntu based with other window manager {Openbox})

TheNosh
September 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM

I won't.

Your categorization sucks!
I concur.

doorknob60
September 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Arch on my main one, Debian 5.0 on my old Laptop ("Designed for Windows 98") and on my secondary computer (Pentium 3).

GreyShadow
September 8th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Arch,Antix,Puppy

TheNosh
September 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Arch,Antix,Puppy

+1 for puppy. a great distro.

FunkyRes
September 8th, 2009, 03:20 AM
CentOS 5.3 x86_64
Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64

gymophett
September 8th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I checked them all. :X

Exodist
September 8th, 2009, 05:42 AM
These poll questions are bland and direct at same time. Also you left alot of stuff out like Slackware/SuSE based distros and such..

In addition there is no Custom Built option on the list. How can I vote?

Stan_1936
September 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
+1 for puppy. a great distro.

Last night, I had a dream that someone installed Puppy Linux on my system....without telling me. It felt very smooth.....but also felt very scary at the same time....don't know why!

Sporkman
September 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Last night, I had a dream that someone installed Puppy Linux on my system....without telling me. It felt very smooth.....but also felt very scary at the same time....don't know why!

Somebody installing a new OS on your computer without your consent can be considered scary. :)

anticapitalista
September 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Arch,Antix,Puppy

+1 for antiX and fluxbox

TheNosh
September 9th, 2009, 11:50 PM

cause no one should install anything on someones computer without telling them... also cause installing puppy on a hard drive isn't really where it's strength lies. it's what i do for old computers, but i use it mostly so that i can have a usable system tailored to my preferences on any computer i use.