PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Couple of questions about Nautilus

RalphS
September 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hey

I have a NTFS partition on an internal HHD mounted in fstab like this:

UUID=90CC8EFECC8EDDBA /media/D auto defaults 0 1

1) Yes, it does have photos on it, but how do I prevent the 'The medium contains digital photos... ' banner from appearing at the top? I have turned off all the media handling in preferences.

2)Not a biggie but why is there an eject icon here? its an internal HDD, and only root can unmount it so pressing it fails anyway.

quixote
September 8th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'm not sure your fstab entry is being used at all because there seem to be a few errors in it. I'd be willing to bet the behavior you're seeing is because gnome has become confused and has decided it's some kind of removable media and is mounting it a la gnome.

fstab requires:

uuid or device mount point filetype options backup and check options
UUID=whatever /mount/directory ntfs user,auto,noatime 0 2

the options should be without spaces and separated by commas. I'm also not exactly sure what the code is for an ntfs filesystem, so try a search for "fstab ntfs" to make sure what's right.

Hope this helps.

amac777
September 8th, 2009, 06:41 AM
1) Yes, it does have photos on it, but how do I prevent the 'The medium contains digital photos... ' banner from appearing at the top? I have turned off all the media handling in preferences.

This might not work, but try renaming or removing the DCIM directory so the hard drive won't look like it's a memory card from a digital camera.

RalphS
September 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Renaming the DCIM directory did the trick, thanks.

I am pretty sure its being mounted by fstab ok because:

a)I can still get to them if I log in with a failsafe terminal instead of gnome session.

b)I have a 3rd NTFS partition (the 10.5GB one), and clicking that gets me a system policy prevents mounting internal media popup and I need to supply my password to mount it. Once mounted like this, the button does unmount it. I suspect its showing the button for the others because it thinks they have been mounted in this way.