View Full Version : [ubuntu] Format Harddisk And Reinstall Xp ANd ubuntu
September 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Starting from the Beginning,
I have Laptop and installed Xp But 1 day i see Ubuntu and Find good so i installed it but i have not uninstall Xp i created Partion and installed ubuntu ,
But now due to virus Xp have stoped Working i want to format my Hard disk and Reinstall Xp and don't want to disturb My Ubuntu Partion Due to GRUB the Xp cd is not detected in bios.
September 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
You don't format harddisks, but partitions. In this case you would want to format your XP-partition, which you can even do from within Ubuntu.
Make sure you have unmounted the XP partition and go to System>Administration>Partition Editor
Select the XP partition and format it as NTFS..
Alternatively, to make your laptop start up with your XP-boot disk: at boot time press the button to switch boot-devices (on my HP it's F9) and select the cd-drive. Boot up as usual and let XP do its work.
You may have to reinstall GRUB afterwards. about which there's about 100.000 posts on this forum...
September 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
after you reinstall windows you will need to restore GRUB to MBR of your hard disk. Do this:
1. Boot your computer up with Ubuntu CD
2. Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.
3. Type sudo grub. Should get text of which last line is grub>
4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0,1)".
Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.
5. Type "root (hd0,1)", or whatever your hard disk + boot partition
numbers are for Ubuntu.
6. Type "setup (hd0)", to install GRUB to MBR, or "setup (hd0,1)" or
whatever your hard disk + partition # is, to install GRUB to a
7. Quit grub by typing "quit".
8. Reboot and remove the bootable CD.
In # 6 use setup (hd0) if you only have 1 hard disk.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.