PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to re-enable desktop effects after using VGA out (notebook)

Daimoneze
September 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Lenovo 3000 N100 - Intrepid

I noticed that while the using the VGA out recently Ubuntu seemed to automatically disable the desktop effects. I figured this was just a result of using both video outs simultaneously. However, after unplugging the VGA out and rebooting I am still unable to turn the desktop effects back on via Appearance Preferences.

I can enable things in CCSM, but nothing changes. In fact, moving windows around now cause them to ghost momentarily.

In Resolution Settings I see the VGA out is still enabled (but off) and I'm thinking that it might be related. Using the related function key doesn't make it go away.

earthpigg
September 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
press alt+f2 and run 'compiz --replace'... let us know if that works.

if things go crazy, or if you just want to quickly disable compiz, run 'metacity --replace'.

if compiz --replace works, then we just need to make that run automatically when your computer starts.

Daimoneze
September 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
No go. Here is the output from the terminal trying to run 'compiz --replace'.

Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: present.
Software rasterizer detected, abortingaborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

I suspect the problem might be related to what we see in the attached image.

earthpigg
September 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
system -> admin -> hardware drivers

enabled?

and have you tried selecting 'detect displays' in monitor resolution settings?

Daimoneze
September 6th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hardware drivers reports no restricted drivers available to enable (I'm pretty sure that's actually correct with this system).

After detecting displays the unknown monitor is still there.

twright
September 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I suggest you try clicking on the second monitor and seeing if an off option is present - as far as I remember the multiple monitor handling in jaunty is a lot more reliable so that might be your issue.

Daimoneze
September 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
So I ran
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and pushed through all the defaults. Restarted GDM and now compiz is back and the unknown monitor is gone. I'm marking the thread as solved.