PDA

View Full Version : One light bulb, two rooms?

hellmet
September 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Has anyone here tried to light up more than one room (possibly two) rooms with a single light bulb? I was wondering if that were possible by using a glass opening on the wall connecting the two rooms, where the light would be placed. Probably saves some energy.. or probably not. What do you say?

MikeTheC
September 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Start a camp fire in each room. That way you'll stay warmer in winter, the rooms will both be lit up, and you won't have to worry about wasting money on an electrical bill.

dragos240
September 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Start a camp fire in each room. That way you'll stay warmer in winter, the rooms will both be lit up, and you won't have to worry about wasting money on an electrical bill.

You will also have to call the fire dept.

Whiffle
September 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The energy used in making the glass and putting it in the wall would probably negate any energy savings, and you'd have to clean the glass periodically. It would be much easier to put in 2 light sockets, and 2 light bulbs, each 1/2 the wattage of the original light bulb...

MikeTheC
September 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Well, yeah, but at least you won't have to worry about supplying doughnuts.

koenn
September 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM
it's not worth it. The opening would have to be quite large, the lightsource quite strong, and even then, the 2nd room will not have adequate lighting - if you actually want to use that room, sooner or later you'll put in additional lighting.

Besides that, lighting and electricity in housing (at least in Belgium) is usually designed so that when the lights in one room don't function (broken lightbulb, blown a fuse, ...) , you can still get some light from adjacent rooms - it's a basic safety measure to prevent accidents. Your idea doesn't allow such thing.

Giant Speck
September 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Use mirrors.

zer010
September 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Use mirrors.

ditto

red_Marvin
September 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM
You also have to get a bright enough light bulb. If it is only lighting one room, the walls floor and cieling will have a certain area on which the light will be spread. If the area is bigger (eg bigger room, two rooms) the amount of light per area unit will be smaller, and the bigger room/rooms will appear dimmer.

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM

forrestcupp
September 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Use mirrors.
That's what I was going to say. Mirrors work wonders for lighting.

xpod
September 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Re: One light bulb, two rooms?

And i thought us Scots were frugal.:)

hessiess
September 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Just use energy saving bulbs.

chriskin
September 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM

calling the fire department is free, isn't it?

hellmet
September 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Well, I do use CFLs already. I believe in optimum utilization of everything I own so was wondering if I could squeeze more out of a single bulb.

bodyharvester
September 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM
i love the campfire idea, nothing beats a good open fire crackling *daydreams*

just have a fire extinguisher nearby, remove electricals and plastics and so on coz you will need a different extinguisher for each fire type

aeiah
September 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
strap a flashlight to your head, then you wont need any.

alternatively: just stop being rediculous and use two damn lights.

gnomeuser
September 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM

If he ever gets so far considering the CO poisoning he would give himself doing that would be likely to kill him (sadly I speak from experience, my grandfather used a similar method to off himself).

LowSky
September 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Use LEDs, and an intricate mirror system... which will cost a good penny, compared to two light bulbs and sockets.