PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading ubuntu version on a usb external hard drive installation

philwalker
September 6th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I´ve ubuntu 8.04 installed on a usb external hard drive which is dual boot - half ubuntu, half windows xp. I installed it using the alternate cd as the normal cd didn´t work properly as it was an external hard drive (I forget what the problem was now, it was quite a while ago)

I was wondering how i go about upgrading to a later version of ubuntu - can I just boot my external ubuntu partition and upgrade from there, or will the upgrade thing not realise I´m on a usb ext drive, or do I need to upgrade from the alternate cd again to make sure it recognises I´m on an ext hard drive?

zvacet
September 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Try with method witch worked for you last time.But you can not skip releases during upgrades.Meaning if you want to upgrade from hardy it will look like this Hardy>Intrepid>Jaunty.If you have separate home you can do fresh install on top of your root partition.If you don't have separate home make one following this (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome) guide.