PDA

View Full Version : Use Veoh?

winjeel
September 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Does anyone here use Veoh.com? If so, how do you get their player to work on Ubuntu? For those who don't know, the shorter shows play no problems, but the longer ones require a player to be installed (I did that in Wine), but still I can't download from them. There's some great movies there (my current fav' is "2046").

madjr
September 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Does anyone here use Veoh.com? If so, how do you get their player to work on Ubuntu? For those who don't know, the shorter shows play no problems, but the longer ones require a player to be installed (I did that in Wine), but still I can't download from them. There's some great movies there (my current fav' is "2046").

they really suck

they shut down like 100 countries to not access their site (i can throu a proxy, but not worth it IMO nor i care anymore)

plus they also have that horrid software to view their videos which suck even more.

with sites like youtube, dailymotion and many other respectable sites why would we keep supporting Veoh's practices...

Bodsda
September 6th, 2009, 10:31 PM
they really suck

they shut down like 100 countries to not access their site (i can throu a proxy, but not worth it IMO nor i care anymore)

plus they also have that horrid software to view their videos which suck even more.

with sites like youtube, dailymotion and many other respectable sites why would we keep supporting Veoh's practices...

Actually, I quite like Veoh. I have used it on windows and I am extremely impressed with the quality of the player and of the user posted content. Admittedly it is mainly anime shows and some random clips of things I have never heard of but you do occasionally find some really good stuff on there. For example they have the best quality Johnathan Creek episodes that I have ever found online.

I do not wish to debate the legality of the site, but there is definitely no need to so rude about the site. They have done a fine job even though they have little to no linux support.

As for linux support, I have seen a few threads mention a few scripts that download a few things that dont help. :) Sorry, but I have yet to find a decent solution to Veoh on ubuntu

winjeel
September 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think the system is good and it works well, albeit on Windows. I did find one thread dated Dec 2007 where Veoh apparently showed serious interest in getting things going on Ubuntu and Linux... but that seems to be where it stayed. Interestingly, their own forums are now locked and closed, so no help from there.

speedwell68
October 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
You can remove the time limitations of Veoh videos with this Firefox Addon.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11037

dragos240
October 14th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Necromancy.

Frak
October 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Necromancy.
No it's not.

t0p
October 15th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I think Veoh's a load of <bleep>. A lot of the time when Google has told me that something I want to watch is available at Veoh, I find that it's a five minute preview and I have to jump through hoops to see the whole thing. I don't like jumping through hoops. Idiots.

Also, when a site tells me I have to install some software to be able to watch a video, alarm bells go off in my head. I've come across some right dodgy sites that do that - "Oh, download this .exe file and you can see some filthy pr0n..." Yeah, and the .exe will send itself to everyone in your addressbook, and very soon you'll be part of a spambot advertising ***** enlargers and time-share apartments. I'm not saying that Veoh distribute malware. But their tactics are most unsavoury and I'll have nothing to do with sites that operate in this manner.

Necromancy.

Nah, this thread wasn't dead. It was sleeping heavily, that's all.