PDA

View Full Version : Beyond iPod - Name your favorite non-apple mp3 players!

urbandryad
September 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I have a Sansa e250 mp3 player which works well with Rockbox on Linux, but I am in the market for something with more than 4GB of space. Prefer to use drag and drop mode in the player rather than connecting it with MTP to a music program. I would love to hear what other players people use, besides iPods, and which ones support drag-and-drop disk mounting or Rockbox! More than 4GB of space. This may be a good thread too for people who want a Linux compatible but think they are stuck with iPod!

aysiu
September 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Sansa Clip.

I've had really good experiences with Sandisk players.

A terrible experience with Cowon.

An okay experience with iPods.

purgatori
September 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM
All of them. I'd take a brick with controls drawn by a permanent market over an iPod.

cptrohn
September 7th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I've got a Cowon D2 and it's been great...

Just be sure to use avidemux to convert video for it!

Dharmachakra
September 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Sansa Fuze. Thing works like a charm.

RiceMonster
September 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I've got a Cowon D2 and it's been great...

Just be sure to use avidemux to convert video for it!

Yep, got that exact player. Couldn't be happier.

NightHawk877
September 7th, 2009, 12:48 AM
My dad has the same thing too. Have you seen the COWON S9? It blows my Samsung YP-P2 and the iTouch out of the water. I liked my dad's D2 so much that I bought the 8 gig model for $128 USD on Amazon.

zipperback
September 7th, 2009, 12:49 AM
All of them. I'd take a brick with controls drawn by a permanent market over an iPod.

LOL! +1 purgatori

I have an ipod chromatic, but recently it's been acting pretty strange.
Stopping in the middle of songs, turning on by itself even with the slide switch in the lock position and such. I've been reading and it's actually a fairly common problem.

My next player will not be an ipod.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

chriskin
September 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM

Sansa Fuze :)
:popcorn:
thing works BETTER than a charm :)

Chronon
September 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Toshiba Gigabeat F40 and S60 for HD based player.
Sansa e280 and Clip for flash.

All can run Rockbox (Clip and S60 are not officially supported yet, though).

Dharmachakra
September 7th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I'm considering a Sansa Clip+ now actually. I always have to carry my Fuze when I run and I could probably completely replace it with a 8GB Clip+. Hmmm...

chriskin
September 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I'm considering a Sansa Clip+ now actually. I always have to carry my Fuze when I run and I could probably completely replace it with a 8GB Clip+. Hmmm...

carry it? why don't just...put it in a pocket?:confused:

Dharmachakra
September 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
carry it? why don't just...put it in a pocket?:confused:

That bothers me to no end... enough that I'd be willing to spend $60 to avoid it. Plus, only one pair of my running shorts has pockets.

Chronon
September 7th, 2009, 01:07 AM
That bothers me to no end... enough that I'd be willing to spend $60 to avoid it. Plus, only one pair of my running shorts has pockets.

I got a Sansa Clip from Woot for $15.00 a while back. You shouldn't need to drop $60 on it.

chriskin
September 7th, 2009, 01:07 AM
there is always the choice to buy those things that cover the mp3 and can be placed at the belt, whatever their name

i saw one for the ipod at a local store, there has to be one for the fuze as well

Dharmachakra
September 7th, 2009, 01:10 AM
there is always the choice to buy those things that cover the mp3 and can be placed at the belt, whatever their name

i saw one for the ipod at a local store, there has to be one for the fuze as well

Yeah, I saw one once. I don't know... I'll probably hand off the Fuze to a friend of mine for a small fee since he just lost his. I don't use the video or any of that and he does.

The Clip+ has music, radio, and a slot for my SD card. I think I'd be more happy with it.

init1
September 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
My Archos 5 is ok. It's got great storage capacity (250GB), but poor battery life.

chriskin
September 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
My Archos 5 is ok. It's got great storage capacity (250GB), but poor battery life.

how much did you buy it? 250gb isn't few

chriskin
September 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM
oh, archos 5 is a internet tablet. thought it was a normal mp3 player, sorry

NightHawk877
September 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I have a Sansa e250 mp3 player which works well with Rockbox on Linux, but I am in the market for something with more than 4GB of space. Prefer to use drag and drop mode in the player rather than connecting it with MTP to a music program. I would love to hear what other players people use, besides iPods, and which ones support drag-and-drop disk mounting or Rockbox! More than 4GB of space. This may be a good thread too for people who want a Linux compatible but think they are stuck with iPod!

have you Rockboxed your Sansa? If you do that you will have microSDHC support. A friend of mine did that with his e280 and a 4 gig card. He now has 12 gigs of space.

Matthewthegreat
September 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I have a cowon s9 and I love it! Sounds great and has a AMOLED screen. It's a really nice player and works great with linux!

xuCGC002
September 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM

I second that. They're awesome.

Exodist
September 7th, 2009, 03:03 AM
XMMS 1 or Amarok 1.4

ad_267
September 7th, 2009, 03:28 AM
XMMS 1 or Amarok 1.4

I think this thread is about hardware/portable players :)

I don't have one at the moment, but I'm interested in getting one. Ogg and Flac playback is pretty important to me so I'd probably get a Sansa. I've heard some pretty bad reviews of the Cowon players.

Onyros
September 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I really, really miss the Rio Karma I once had. It was THE best mp3 player in the history of the Western Civilization.

#11u-max
September 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
zen vision:m 30 GB! but no rockbox, so i are sad... :'(

Exodist
September 7th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I think this thread is about hardware/portable players :)

Ohh well. A player is just software on hardware.
If were talking about stand-alone players then my Pioneer Super Tuner III rocks! It plays my MP3s perfectly on CDs.

Chronon
September 7th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Ohh well. A player is just software on hardware.
If were talking about stand-alone players then my Pioneer Super Tuner III rocks! It plays my MP3s perfectly on CDs.

Given the "Beyond iPod" in the title, I think most people have assumed this to be a thread about portable audio players (i.e. ones you can put in your pocket).

ninjapirate89
September 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
ZUNE!!!!!!!.....j/k....I hate my zune :(

Edit -> BTW...anybody wanna buy a zune? :P

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Have a zune.

Its a great player...except I can't load music onto it without booting into windows. The UI and build quality though are fantastic. The UI especially...its the best UI I've ever seen. Never had a bug or problem with it, ever, either.

I'd prefer a sansa fuze at the moment, but if I were a windows user I'd love my zune to death.

Though, I believe it unwise to put hard drive mp3 players in your pocket or below the waist while running. More movement and chance of hard drive failure than if placed above the waist.

amitabhishek
September 7th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Sony's 4GB Walkman. Awesome bundled headphones!!!

ninjapirate89
September 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Have a zune.

Its a great player...except I can't load music onto it without booting into windows. The UI and build quality though are fantastic. The UI especially...its the best UI I've ever seen. Never had a bug or problem with it, ever, either.

I'd prefer a sansa fuze at the moment, but if I were a windows user I'd love my zune to death.

Though, I believe it unwise to put hard drive mp3 players in your pocket or below the waist while running. More movement and chance of hard drive failure than if placed above the waist.

I agree about the UI. If it weren't made my MS it would be perfect. It would be nice if someone could finally hack it and could make an exact clone of it (and add features of course!)

chessnerd
September 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Sansa e260 is really nice imo. I've had it for a few years and I like it's sleek design. It's fast at bootup and super portable, yet very durable. I've dropped it I don't know how many times and all the damage it has ever sustained is a small fracture on the screen that you only really notice when you look for it. That wasn't from a normal drop, though. I accidentally left it in the bottom of my backpack and just dropped the pack on the ground. The books must have smashed right down on it.

I like it better than my sister's iPod Nano for several reasons, but a few are:
1. Built in FM radio
2. Built in microphone
3. Don't need iTunes to use it
4. The scroll wheel actually moves
5. Larger screen

Johnsie
September 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
but an MP3 player is an ipod... ;-)

I have the original diamond rio. I think it has 16mb or something like that. I use my phone for MP3 playing as I don't see the point in carrying two devices around with me. Using my phone also allows me to listen to streaming radio on the Internet which is pretty good. I'm waiting on Spotify for Windows Mobile.

matthewbpt
September 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
The iRiver H100 and H300 series of mp3 players are arguably the best IMO, certainly the best I've ever used (and I've had many, incliding ipod). The most impressive feature is the H100's optical input and output, to connect to hi-fi equipment at perfect digital quality, an audiophiles dream! Add in the open source Rockbox OS and it becomes perfect! Pity iRiver discontinued both series =(

ctrlmd
September 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
ZUNE and im waiting for the zuneHD as it will be my next mp3 player :guitar:

Schendje
September 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Recently bought a Sansa Clip (black, 8gb). It's a great device. You get twice the amount of memory in an equally-priced iPod Shuffle, but with a screen (which is remarkably bright and clear!).

It's also very tiny. Good battery life, large memory, ogg support. I really recommend it. :)