PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kde 4.3 installed no Ubuntu jaunty. No sound

praveesh
September 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have installed kde 4.3.1 on my Ubuntu jaunty . Now there is no sound in the kde apps(dolphin , amarok,juk etc). No problem with the Gnome apps. Everytime when I log in , the kde informs that the default sound device is not working and is falling back to the next device. Still there is no sound. In the kde controlpanel, the backend is shown as gstreamer(i have installed the kde-backend-gstreamer). For the kde , the packages I have installed are kde-standard , plasma-widgets-addons, kde-multimedia , gtk-qt-engine and their dependancies. Is there any need to install more packages. IN KUBUNTU , THERE IS NO PROBLEM. I have googled and searched in this forum ,but didn't get any good results.

simonyee
September 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I have installed kde 4.3.1 on my Ubuntu jaunty . Now there is no sound in the kde apps(dolphin , amarok,juk etc). No problem with the Gnome apps. Everytime when I log in , the kde informs that the default sound device is not working and is falling back to the next device. Still there is no sound. In the kde controlpanel, the backend is shown as gstreamer(i have installed the kde-backend-gstreamer). For the kde , the packages I have installed are kde-standard , plasma-widgets-addons, kde-multimedia , gtk-qt-engine and their dependancies. Is there any need to install more packages. IN KUBUNTU , THERE IS NO PROBLEM. I have googled and searched in this forum ,but didn't get any good results.

check what is the sound card model first and post here

Open terminal and type lspci

jacksaff
September 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Click the speaker icon in the system tray and open the mixer. For some reason some of my volume sliders keep getting reset to middling values which are inaudible with the volume I set my actual speakers...

praveesh
September 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
check what is the sound card model first and post here

Open terminal and type lspci

Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

praveesh
September 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Click the speaker icon in the system tray and open the mixer. For some reason some of my volume sliders keep getting reset to middling values which are inaudible with the volume I set my actual speakers...

That isn't the problem . The kmixer slider is at the maximum. More over there is sound in the Gnome apps(rhythmbox) and Iam able to control their sound with the kmixer

praveesh
September 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Please help

praveesh
September 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Will installing phonon-backend-xine solve the problem? If I do so, will I able to play sound using Gnome applications that use gstreamer? While using xine as backend, is it possible to control the sound of the applications that use gstreamer by kmix?

praveesh
September 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Succeeded . Installing phonon backend xine and changing the audio device to pulseaudio (could not find alsa) enabled the qt /kde apps to produce sound.