PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Mount hard drive on kubuntu

MadnessRed
September 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi, I want to know how I can mount my partition on KDE. In gnome I simple click on places and then on the partition and it mounts it. How do I do this in KDE? ATM I have to run nautilus as go to computer and open it there. Then I can browse it normally using dolphin.

I would like to know if there is a command line thing I can do which I can add to a shortcut in quick launch of something like that.

Also the fstab methods don't work on my computer. They stop the hard drive from being recognised as a hard drive in the Computer Place and it simply becomes a folder. I Don't want it mounting permanently or anything, I just want to be able to mount it like I do in GNome.

Many thanks

Anthony

simonyee
September 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hi, I want to know how I can mount my partition on KDE. In gnome I simple click on places and then on the partition and it mounts it. How do I do this in KDE? ATM I have to run nautilus as go to computer and open it there. Then I can browse it normally using dolphin.

I would like to know if there is a command line thing I can do which I can add to a shortcut in quick launch of something like that.

Also the fstab methods don't work on my computer. They stop the hard drive from being recognised as a hard drive in the Computer Place and it simply becomes a folder. I Don't want it mounting permanently or anything, I just want to be able to mount it like I do in GNome.

Many thanks

Anthony

Hi,
It seems to happen when using ubuntu and add in KDE.
But with the Kubuntu there is no such problem and it is working properly.

How come ?
Thanks

MadnessRed
September 6th, 2009, 11:10 PM
what do you mean it seems to happen when kde is installed onto gnome. I can mount fine using nautilus. But I would like a way to mount using Dolphin.

MadnessRed
September 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
bump

lykwydchykyn
September 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Are we talking about a removable drive like a USB device, or a partition on a fixed disk?

Have you got the removable devices plasmoid on your panel?

MadnessRed
September 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
It is a partition on a permanent internal hard drive.

krazyd
September 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
It doesn't show up in the Places panel in the left of a Dolphin window?

lykwydchykyn
September 9th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Do you not have a "places" menu in dolphin? Or does the partition just not appear there?

Can you post your fstab file?

EDIT: I ask this because my dolphin on my home desktop (which has extra non-mounted fixed-disk partitions) has a "places" menu which lists the unmounted HDD partitions. You can toggle it under "view=>panels" or by hitting F9.

MadnessRed
September 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Do you not have a "places" menu in dolphin? Or does the partition just not appear there?

Can you post your fstab file?

EDIT: I ask this because my dolphin on my home desktop (which has extra non-mounted fixed-disk partitions) has a "places" menu which lists the unmounted HDD partitions. You can toggle it under "view=>panels" or by hitting F9.

ok, found it, many thanks, looks like what I want. However, is it possible to have a link to my "DATA" partition on the desktop where when I double click its mounts it or opens it?